Close button should minimise

Options
kernels
kernels
Community Member

I have a very specific feature request for an option to make the close button on MacOS minimise the application. This is specifically useful when you don't want 1Password enabled in the menu bar, but you want it to stay unlocked when closing for later.

Currently, if the menu bar is disabled and 1Password is closed, then that will kill the application meaning you will need to unlock it again on re-launch. If the menu bar is enabled then this does not happen.

Also, on Windows, even with the task view icon disabled, the behaviour is different where it does keep an active process running rather than completely closing it.

I appreciate this could be a quirk of MacOS, but the Spotify application has a toggle for this and it completely resolves the issue I have.

Very minor and specific request, but would improve the usability of the app up to the level on Windows and without adding unnecessary icons to my status bar.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @kernels! 👋

Thank you for the feedback. Can you clarify the use case here a little further? Are you referring to the following close button:

If you are then why not choose the yellow minimize option which will minimize the window as desired. Are you referring to a different close button, if you are then can you clarify which one? I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• kernels
    kernels
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P

Yes I am indeed referring to that close button. I understand that minimise would do the same function, but that then leaves the window open in my dock (as I do not minimise to app icon).

There is also a workaround where if you unlock via the 1Password browser extension then that prompts without opening the main window, so until you re-open and then close the main application again it is unlocked whilst "closed" yet no active process is running.

As I say, very specific and niche request, but the Spotify app does have this option and it works perfectly there to leave it running. It's not really a use case, more of a feature request but I understand why this might not be worthwhile in development as it's likely not as simple as just adding an option.

Nothing else to add really on my end, but appreciate you taking the time to reply and consider as feedback regardless. Thanks!

• kernels
    kernels
    Community Member
    Options

For reference, this is what the option is in Spotify.

• @kernels

Those you for those additional details! I can see how an option to have the close button minimize the 1Password window could be useful and, while I can't make any promises, I've filed a feature request on your behalf. For the time being, I'd recommend keeping the menubar icon turned on so that 1Password can stay open in the background even when the main window is closed.

Please let me now if there's anything else that I can help you with.

-Dave

ref: PB-38265260