Autofill in Safari: specifics of field filling; selecting from a dropdown-menu field

Options
wills11
wills11
Community Member
edited February 13 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi, all—thanks in advance for any advice!

I needed to create an autofill login for this site on Safari, with the caveat that "Find your library" isn't a simple text field, but rather a dropdown menu with a list of libraries:

https://oup2-idp.sams-sigma.com/librarycard

I found it would autofill both fields to whatever "username" was set to, and got it working only by setting that to my card number, then adding a custom text field titled "Find your library" set to "New York Public Library".

I used a test login as an example to show what exactly it's autofilling, and these 1P login settings:

Result in autofilling this:

I have two questions:

1. Why does it autofilling both fields with whatever "username" is set to, never using the data in the "password" field? And why, given my custom text fields, does 1P correctly autofill the "Find your library" field with "LIB", but leave the "Enter Library card number" field filled with the "username" data? In short: is there a more elegant way to get the result I want?

2. A small point: while the clunky login I've made does correctly fill in the fields, when it fills in the "Find your library" field with "New York Public Library", it's simply inserting the text, not actually selecting that as the choice from the dropdown list—meaning I have to click in that field and hit a key to activate the menu, and then select "New York Public Library" by clicking it with the mouse (or with the keyboard navigation "Enter" keys). Hardly a huge hassle, but curious to know: is there any way to get 1P to actually select an option from a dropdown list, rather than just adding text?

Again, I so appreciate any guidance!

1Password Version: 8.10.24
Extension Version: 2.19.0
OS Version: 14.3.1 (23D60)
Browser: Safari 17.3.1

Comments

• Hello @wills11, thank you for your writing in. I appreciate the details you shared, it's very helpful.

I tried testing the website you shared, but I'm not able to access it.

You mentioned:

Why does it autofilling both fields with whatever "username" is set to, never using the data in the "password" field? And why, given my custom text fields, does 1P correctly autofill the "Find your library" field with "LIB", but leave the "Enter Library card number" field filled with the "username" data?

This all depends on how those fields are labeled in the page structure. 1Password detects the fields htmlID, htmlName, etc to autofill and the more details a field has, the better it is for 1Password in the browser to detect them for autofill.

In short: is there a more elegant way to get the result I want?

Is the "username" field used to autofill for a different (previous) form? If so, I'd suggest the following:

1. Edit your Login item.
    2. Click "+ add more" and select "text".
    3. Change the "text" title to "username", then enter your username below it.
    4. Clear the original "username" field, then click "Save".

is there any way to get 1P to actually select an option from a dropdown list, rather than just adding text?

Can you try to save the Login item through the browser extension, while that option is selected? Here's how:

1. Navigate to the form.
    2. Select the option from the drop down menu and enter your card number in the field below it.
    3. Right-click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar and select "Save Login". Then save it as a new item. (This is just to check if 1Password in the browser can save that dropdown option, which is why we're creating a new Login item.)
    4. Refresh the page, then select the new Login item to autofill.

Let me know how that goes, @wills11.

-Evon