Feedback regarding passkeys

Options
System
edited February 14 in iOS
This discussion was created from comments split from: Apple passkey and 1password.

Comments

• PasskeysAreBroken
    PasskeysAreBroken
    Community Member
    Options

So now my passwords will have to be split between 1password and keychain? Seems like a broken system already doesn't it?

• Dave_1P
    edited February 13
    Options

@PasskeysAreBroken

Welcome to the community! 👋 Can you clarify your question a little further? You can save all of your passwords in 1Password, there's no need to use Keychain.

This thread is about passkeys for Apple accounts. These passkeys are automatically generated by any Apple devices signed in to an Apple ID running iOS 17 or macOS Sonoma or newer and can't be saved in 1Password yet but we're hopeful for the future.

-Dave

• PasskeysAreBroken
    PasskeysAreBroken
    Community Member
    Options

"Hopeful for the future" is the problem with Passkeys. Its a remarkably fragmented protocol. Apple, Google, Microsoft, all with their own systems fighting to lock us in. There's a reason I don't use apple keychain, but it's beginning to look like I won't have a choice if they switch entirely to passkeys, but yeah, hopeful for the future.

I can't even figure out who controls my passkeys. I certainly don't know what happens if everything breaks, if a token device is stolen, if the other end loses their half of the key etc.

The industry as a whole is bungling this to be honest. It promises to be simple but couldn't be further from that promise. It's a confusing mess right now I'm afraid. As far as I can tell I cant even secure 1Password itself with a passkey, unless its a "test account", whatever that means!. Just confusing.

• Dave_1P
    edited February 14
    Options

@PasskeysAreBroken

Thanks for the feedback. Aside from your Apple ID, are there any other websites where you're running into trouble when saving a passkey in 1Password? I would be happy to get any issues that you're running into reported to our team so that we can improve the experience.

I can't even figure out who controls my passkeys. I certainly don't know what happens if everything breaks, if a token device is stolen, if the other end loses their half of the key etc.

Passkeys are a modern alternative to passwords – they enable people to log in to their online accounts without having to enter a password. Passkeys are based on a public-private key pair – one key is public and connected to the website or app you’re using, the other key is private and stored on your device.

When you save your passkey in 1Password, you control that passkey. Your passkey is encrypted using your account password and Secret Key and only you're able to access it and use it to sign into a website. Once you save a passkey in 1Password, that passkey is made available on all of your devices where you're using 1Password. Even if you lose one of your devices, your passkeys are backed up to your 1Password account and available from your other devices as long as the 1Password app is installed.

Can you tell me a little more about what you mean by "if the other end loses their half of the key" and "what happens if everything breaks"? Are there specific incidents that you're referring to? Once I know more about your specific concerns, I can provide more detailed answers.

As far as I can tell I cant even secure 1Password itself with a passkey, unless its a "test account", whatever that means!

We're still very early days for passkeys and a lot of services, including 1Password, are working hard to bring passkey authentication to their apps and services. The good news is that passkey unlock for 1Password is currently in beta: Unlock 1Password With a Passkey: Now in Beta

For now, passkey unlock is only available by creating a new 1Password account via our public beta. Once development and testing is complete, we can't wait to have folks with an existing account be able to use a passkey to unlock 1Password as well.

-Dave

• PasskeysAreBroken
    PasskeysAreBroken
    Community Member
    Options

Aside from Apple ID? Yes. Any google service on iOS for example. I try logging into a gmail account for example, and iOS pops up a QR code even though my passkey is in 1Password. Clicking on other options simply allows me to use my regular password. None of it actually works, at least consistently and in a way that is actually useful. QR codes for grief sake!

• @PasskeysAreBroken

Thank you for those details. It sounds like iOS isn't properly detecting your items saved in 1Password. As a first step, make sure that iOS AutoFill is setup correctly:

1. On the Home screen, tap Settings.
    2. Tap Passwords > Password Options.
    3. Turn on AutoFill Passwords and Passkeys.
    4. Deselect 1Password.
    5. Select 1Password.

Then try to sign in using your passkey again: Use 1Password to save logins and sign in to apps and websites on your iPhone and iPad

If that still doesn't work then are you trying to sign in using the Gmail app? Or the Gmail website in Safari or another browser?

-Dave