How to migrate from password to passkey?

Options
Newbie2018
Newbie2018
Community Member
edited February 17 in 1Password in the Browser

I am trying to set up my first passkey and store it in 1P.

I already have a Target account with email and password. When I navigate to this account within 1P, I see the screen on the left (in the attachment). I then click on "Use passkey" button within 1P.

Clicking on "Use passkey" in 1P causes my Safari screen to blink quickly, but I can't really see what's happening during the blink. After the blink, I see the screen on the right. If I then click on the "Use a passkey instead" button on the Target website, nothing happens. And I don't see a passkey stored anywhere within 1P.

I guess I'm doing something wrong, but how do I migrate from using a password to a passkey on an account that I already have? And after I migrate, do I need to retain the old password any longer? Thx.

1Password Version: 8.10.24
Extension Version: 2.20.0
OS Version: 14.3.1
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hey @Newbie2018,

You will need to sign in to your Target account first using your username and password and then create and save the passkey within your account settings before that 'Use a passkey instead' button will allow you to sign in.

You should be able to do this if you sign in and visit 'Sign in and security' from your account settings.

Here is our guide on how to save and sign in with a passkey: Save and sign in with passkeys in your browser.

I hope this is helpful, let us know how you get on!

• Newbie2018
    Newbie2018
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. That worked.

So having set up a passkey, I guess the idea is that Target no longer stores my old email + password sign-on credentials. If they still do, and somehow someone got hold of my old password, then it seems like the new passkey gives me a false sense of security. Sound right?

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Newbie2018

Thanks for the reply. Different websites will offer different options when it comes to your old password. Some websites will completely remove your old password and require that you use your passkey to sign in going forward. Other websites will allow you to use either method.

If they still do, and somehow someone got hold of my old password, then it seems like the new passkey gives me a false sense of security.

Even if a website allows you to use your old password then you'll still be able to take advantage of better security when you use your passkey to sign in. Passkeys can only be used to sign in to the website that they were created for so you'll be protected from phishing by using your passkey wherever possible.

Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

-Dave

• Newbie2018
    Newbie2018
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. Appreciate it.

• Dave_1P
    Options

I'm happy to help! Let me know if you have any other questions in the future. 🙂

-Dave