[Feature request] Disable Windows ssh-agent service when enabling 1pass ssh-agent

Options
PurplProto
PurplProto
Community Member
edited February 17 in SSH

I just spent an hour trying to figure out why every other attempt to use ssh would fail with an error:

Load key "C:\Users\/.ssh/id_ed25519.pub": invalid format
git@github.com: Permission denied (publickey).

It finally occurred to me that it might be a race condition of some form and eventually found the built-in ssh OpenSSH Authentication Agent service was running 😐.

I'd like to make a feature request of a sort for 1pass to ensure the native Windows ssh-agent is disabled and not running when the 1password ssh-agent is running.

What would this feature look like?

I think a simple check on 1pass start-up and when enabling the 1pass ssh-agent that could execute a quick sc.exe query "ssh-agent" to see if the service is running and a sc.exe qc "ssh-agent" to ensure the service is disabled. This could easily be made cross-platform as well i.e. ps $SSH_AGENT_PID check on Linux.

For me personally, I'd like 1pass to do this without asking me since I have to consciously enable 1pass ssh-agent, but I wouldn't be opposed to something like a warning message or an extra check box that says it will ensure the Windows ssh-agent is disabled.

Motivation

• User convenience
  • Saves user debugging time
  • Saves user support requests (lets face it, users aren't good at reading docs, unless they sometimes have to as part of their job πŸ˜„)

1Password Version: 8.10.26 (81026038)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided