How do multiple auto-lock settings interact with each other?

Options

Chrome on Windows, no desktop app.

• If I go to the extension settings, under the Security tab, there's "Automatically lock 1Password", which I can set to Off or On with an idle time up to 8 hours.
  • But from those settings I can also go to "Manage Account" at https://my.1password.com/profile. And there in my profile, there's an "Auto-Lock" box in the sidebar, where I must set an idle time between 1 and 300 minutes, with no option to turn it off.

If I turn off "Automatically lock" in the extension, does that override the profile setting, which can't be turned off? And if I set different idle times in the two settings, which one takes precedence? And why can one be set to 8 hours, but the other 5 hours?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• @kipling

The profile on 1Password.com only affects interaction with 1Password.com. You would not want never for this option as then anyone might be able to access your account if you left a browser logged in. Personally, I keep my setting here at 5 minutes or less.

The browser setting in 1Password in the browser is your lock setting for daily use while interacting with your browser and websites other than 1Password.com. This is the one you might want to unlock in the morning while starting your day and keep unlocked for a number of hours.

That said, I am the guy whose device auto-lock is even shorter, and I have immediate lock triggers set should I need to walk away. You can adjust these to your needs as your personal security needs deem it necessary. Only you can decide on your needs and we have various options for those needs.

• kipling
    kipling
    Community Member
    edited February 17
    Options

Thanks, that's helpful. Perhaps the UI text could change to make that more clear. For example, maybe the profile text could say "1Password.com will lock in this browser..." instead of "1Password will lock...".

• Thank you for your feedback @kipling, I have passed it on to the team.

ref: PB38347893