Options
LearningToFly
LearningToFly
Community Member
edited February 19 in Android

Device= Galaxy tab A8
Android v13
1Password version 8.10.24

I can't get the facial unlock to work with 1Password on the tablet. The facial unlock works fine to unlock the tablet itself. I tried the setting to unlock the using the device, but that only asks me for the PIN for my tablet. Which is much less secure than my master password. And when I set it Password, of course, it always asks me for my master password.
The biometric unlock on my phone works which is a fingerprint biometric.
Help!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @LearningToFly,

Android is customizable and available on devices from many different manufacturers. This means that some devices have their own way of handling Face Unlock or Fingerprint Unlock, and these are not always secure by our standards.

As we put security above all else, we have certain requirements for Face Unlock on Android. We require Google's official Biometric framework to be supported. Additionally, Google's method rates different unlock methods, and 1Password will only support unlock methods considered strong (Class 3 Biometric Face Unlock)

Currently, the only devices that meet these criteria are the Pixel 4 and Pixel 8. We hope Samsung and other device manufacturers support this in the near future.

I hope this helps!😀

-- Brendan

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly
    Community Member
    Options

@BrendanR1P Thank you for that answer, I understand now. (I'm glad it wasn't something stupid that I was doing.)
    So for now I use my phone for the most part when I need to access a website/app that requires a password. The fingerprint biometric unlock is so much easier to use. I love that it's supported on my phone! (Motorola Moto g)

• @LearningToFly

You're very welcome. I'm glad to hear that you love that biometric fingerprint unlock is supported within the 1Password for Android app on your phone.

I agree that the fingerprint biometric unlock is so much easier to use.

I find when I use my tablet with no fingerprint sensor that I miss the ability to quickly unlock the 1Password for Android app with my fingerprint like on my phone, although the device unlock option makes unlocking the 1Password for Android app an easy experience on my tablet.😀

• LearningToFly
    LearningToFly
    Community Member
    edited February 24
    Options

I agree that using the device unlock option on the tablet works pretty easily. But as I mentioned in my original post, I don't feel comfortable allowing unlocking 1Password with just a four digit PIN. That's why I was hoping to get facial recognition to work.
    But again, I appreciate your answer why facial recognition unlock doesn't work on my tablet. 🙂

• Dave_1P
    Options

I'm happy that Brandan was able to answer your question. 🙂

-Dave