Feature Request - Updated Categories List - One Time Passwords

Casio
Casio
Community Member

Hello!

I'm not sure if this is the correct subforum since I use Win/iOS/Browser versions of 1Password currently so apologies in advance if it's not.

For context: I was reading the recent change logs and saw:

• “Authentication codes” are now properly referred to as “one-time passwords” throughout the app.

I'd forgot that 1Password supported OTPs and wanted to make the transition from my current Authentication Apps to 1Password so I looked into doing that and successfully setup one for Google to get an idea of the workflow in 1Password to do so.

After setting it up, I noticed there's no quick way to view the OTP without either having the item in Favorites, Searching, or Pinning the OTP field of the specific item to home. While technically they're attached to a "Login" item I think adding a One Time Passwords Category that lists all items with OTPs at a glance would be beneficial. In both of the current OTP Authenticator Apps I use this is the case, granted this is their sole function but it allows for quick overview of all OTPs.

Again I do understand that I can "Pin" the OTP field of an individual login to Home which does exactly what I'd love to see implemented, but if I have 50+ accounts with OTPs manually adding each one to home is tedious and will create unnecessary clutter on the Home tab when it could be a category which could also be added to home and has the added benefit of being able to be reorganized by the user and collapsing to save space.

TL;DR:

Add a new Category called One-Time Passwords that uses the same "Pinned" UI from 1Password iOS on the Home tab to display all active OTPs and their timers at a glance.

I've added a picture of the UI to help illustrate the Pinned UI from iOS I'm referring to:

Current Category list from 1Password Windows which is identical on iOS:

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to be sure to clearly illustrate the feature I'm hoping to see. Please let me know if anything is unclear or any details I can provide to help!

Thank you!

1Password Version: 1Password for Windows 8.10.24 (81024044)
Extension Version: 1Password Edge Store 2.20.0
OS Version: Win 11 Home 23H2
Browser: Edge 122.0.2365.52

Comments

• Hello @Casio! 👋

Thank you for the suggestion! I'd like to better understand your need for such a feature so that I can file a feature request on your behalf. Are you looking to have quicker access to a one-time password when signing into a website or app? If that's the case then the quickest way to use your one-time passwords is to use 1Password in the browser on your Windows PC: Save and fill passwords in your browser

Once you ask 1Password to fill your username and password into a website, 1Password will automatically fill your one-time password. There's no need to enter the app.

On iOS, you can have 1Password automatically copy your one-time password to the clipboard after you fill your username and password so that you can paste the one-time password into a website or app:

1. Open and unlock 1Password 8.
    2. Tap the icon for your account or collection at the top left and choose Settings.
    3. Tap AutoFill.
    4. Turn on "Copy One-Time Passwords".
    5. Go back to Settings.
    6. Tap Notifications.
    7. Turn on "One-Time Passwords".

Then try to fill a login: Use 1Password to save logins and sign in to apps and websites on your iPhone and iPad

These options are faster than having a category of your one-time passwords that you need to open the app to view and copy. I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• Casio
    Casio
    Community Member

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your response!

If that's the case then the quickest way to use your one-time passwords is to use 1Password in the browser on your Windows PC

I do understand that 1Password autofills OTPs just like Logins when it is active and installed on the device I’m using, however, I’m not always using my personal devices and installing 1Password with my Vault isn’t an option. I’d love for OTPs to be quickly available to view if needed just like Favorite Passwords, but without cluttering my Home Tab by having to manually pin all my OTPs to achieve the desired effect.

I’m not looking for just a list of items that contain the Logins with OTPs that need to be opened by the user by clicking into the item. I’m specifically hoping for a Category that displays all active OTPs without any need to individually open the Login item first — similar to how the Pinned View an OTP functions

Home Tab view on iOS showing a Pinned OTP.

I hope that helps and thank you again for your response!

• Hi @Casio,

Thanks for sharing that feedback!

I can see how this would improve the experience when trying to quickly access one-time passwords on your devices. I've gone ahead and submitted a feature request for a one-time passwords category to our Product team, so that they can take it into consideration for future 1Password releases.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with!

-David

ref: PB-38443185

This discussion has been closed.