To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Emergency Access by Trusted contacts

Options
OLCE
OLCE
Community Member
edited February 26 in Memberships

Hi,

I would like to bring this point back up again, as this is a very wanted feature now for already 10 years (I can find requests for a feature like this dating back to 2014)

I tried to bring it up myself some time ago (https://1password.community/discussion/132200/1password-ice-feature-in-case-of-emergency-what-in-case-of-the-owners-death-incapacitation#latest)

So far I've seen responses from 1P that the request will be passed on to the dev-team for research, or that 1P is investigation how to do this safe and secure.

Where is 1P now with this, after a decade of asking for this feature, and 1P seemingly unable (or unwilling) to provide such feature?

As one of the last password managers without a feature to assist with the inheritance of your digital life (or however you would like to call it)

Besides the vague answers so far, what is the reason why 1P does not want to take such feature seriously, even after a decade of requests?

Many have proposed similar options like the concept of Bitwarden: https://bitwarden.com/help/emergency-access/

Keeping in mind, that lives will become more and more digital. Password manager will contain more and more crucial information on someones digital life.

Finding myself in such and end-of-life situation with a password manager brings the issue back up. A lot of vendors or providers underestimate how devastating something like this (unable to access the digital live of a family member who passed away) can be.

The issues with just sharing the Emergency Access onepaper:

• papers disappear, get misplaced, burn, deteriorate....
  • the paper alone is useless if we use MFA to secure our 1P account
  • once you give away the paper (or pdf) you no longer have real control of that piece of information
  • the above points also still apply when you cut the paper in half and give it to 2 people (as suggested in the past by someone from 1P)

So my question really is : how serious 1P is taking these requests, and if indeed serious, what is the roadmap?

1Password Version: 8.10.26 (81026039)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• @OLCE

The issue is very important to the team because it is important to you. We also do not share our roadmap or projections when a feature might be released, etc. We take your feedback and pass it to the products team, where it is curated just as you described. We advocate for your position. 1Password 8 brings a lot of new possibilities to the table. I've got some rather old feature requests of my own. I hope to see some of those come about.

As of now, my best suggestion is to keep the Emergency Kit with your other important papers. As someone who went through this back in late 2019, I can tell you the Emergency Kit works. It's the only thing that allowed me to access my wife's account and notify her clients of her passing. Please take time to safeguard the Emergency Kit. I've always lived by the rule of three. You may find it helpful, too. As with anything related to final preparation it take careful planning. We know this matters to you and it matters to me too. I'm looking to make the process easier for my sons when I pass.

1. Local in a safe and on my device.
    2. Family member's home and also relatives who can assist with account recovery.
    3. Safety deposit box and with my final papers.
  • OLCE
    OLCE
    Community Member
    Options

The emergency kit is only half the information to access/recover an account.
    Did you secure your account with MFA? If so, how do you handle MFA in this situation?

• You can add the MFA code to the Emergency Kit. For the kit to work properly you'll need to ensure the password is included. That's why there is a place to write in the password with a pen icon beside it.

During 2FA setup there is a can't scan code. You can write this on the Emergency Kit. If you already have 2FA enabled, you'll need to disable and then enable the feature again to see the code. I typically write mine on the back explaining what it is for.

• ag_tommy
    edited February 27
    Options

More thoughts. :)

Some folks don't want to put all the eggs in a single basket and they elect to separate the two (Secret Key and Password). I've also seen some folks give 1/2 of the password to one family member and 1/2 to another.