Bug report: 1Password blocks some global hotkeys

Options
Cykelero
Cykelero
Community Member

Here's a peculiar issue, that's surprisingly caused by 1Password.

Occasionally, two things stop working on my Mac, at the same time:

• Holding down a key to get to its accented variants (e.g. long-pressing the A key will input “a” repeatedly, instead of showing the palette with “à”, “á”, “â”, etc)
  • Changing screen brightness using MonitorControl.app, by using the keyboard's brightness keys (it changes the built-in display's brightness, i.e. the key's default behavior, instead of affecting my external display, which is MonitorControl's overriding behavior)

What fixes the issue?

• Restarting the daemon which handles the character variant palette (com.apple.PressAndHold) changes nothing
  • Relaunching MonitorControl changes nothing either
  • Restarting the Mac does fix the issue
  • Or! Completely quitting 1Password does fix the issue; even after it is relaunched

So clearly, 1Password running in the background sometimes interferes with global shortcuts. It's pretty hard to reproduce—I'll sometimes use my Mac for days before the issue occurs—but it's directly caused by 1Password, and it affects both a macOS feature and another third-party app.

Of note, sometimes only the MonitorControl hotkey stops working, and the character variant palette works normally.
I think the issue has been occurring for 6-12 months.

1Password Version: 8.7.01
Extension Version: 2.20.0
OS Version: macOS 14.3.1
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hi there @Cykelero

I noticed in the footer of your post that it looks like you're using 1Password 8.7.0 for Mac, which was the original version published in May 2022. Could you try updating 1Password to the current version, 8.10.26 at time of writing, and see if that helps?

How to keep 1Password up to date

If you still find that there's a hotkey conflict, let me know and I'll be able to look into this further. :)

— Grey

• Cykelero
    Cykelero
    Community Member
    Options

Oh yikes, you're right! I've been using the same version of 1Password for two years. Oops.
    I've updated to the latest version—I'll report back if the issue occurs again.

(two thoughts about updates: 1. The “How to keep 1Password up to date” article doesn't at all mention anything actionable. 2. 1Password has a “Install updates automatically” setting, but not a “Notify me of updates” setting—that's definitely missing, for me. That's what I expected to happen with autoupdate disabled, and what I like to use in all my apps.)

• Hi @Cykelero - let us know how you get on after updating 🙂

And thank you for your feedback about update notifications. I've shared it with the Product Team so that they can take it into consideration moving forward.