The 1Password Chrome extension functions only on the first attempt.

Options
crablice
crablice
Community Member
edited March 12 in Mac

1Password7
Sonoma 14.3.1
The 1Password Desktop App works fine.
But the extention icon in the menu bar only works once. After using it to access a site, the next time the icon does not do anything. Closing out the browser and restarting the process works. After 1 use the same problem. Reinstalled extension and still fails.

This used to work until recently.

Extension 2.21.0

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited March 5
    Options

Hello @crablice! 👋

I'm sorry that 1Password in the browser stops working after you use it once. Since the browser extension and the desktop app communicate with each other and work together, I recommend that you upgrade to 1Password 8 as a first step in case this issue has already been fixed there: Upgrade to 1Password 8

1Password 7 is an older version that isn't supported anymore.

If you still experience the same issue after upgrading to 1Password 8 then I'd like to ask you to send in a console log when reproducing the issue:

Attach the file to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• crablice
    crablice
    Community Member
    Options

I installed 1password8 and my initial opinion is it is very hard to use. When I use the quick access I have to click to start it and then key in the start letters and have it search. Is this the only way to do it? Why in the world would you take a quick easy to use interface and destroy it? It is so hard to use I haven't been able to see if the previous problem the the 1password7 is fixed or not but am working to test it.

As to vaults, I don't understand what has happened. Is the personal vault now in the 1password cloud and not on the local macbook? What about people who don't want their data on either icloud or a similar corporate cloud like 1password servers?

Is there a single document that explains 1password8 overall, not just the snippets information that are not summarized to show the whole picture.

• Thank you for sharing your feedback about 1Password 8 @crablice. While using 1Password 8, I highly recommend trying the Command + Shift + Space bar keyboard shortcut which should instantly open the Quick Access search menu.

As for the current issue that you're running into, I'd like to separate each section below to help us stay on track:

1 - Your vaults

When you were using 1Password 7, did you store your data in a vault named Primary? This would help us determine the type of 1Password account that you're using.

The personal vault is the default vault that you would use when you have a 1Password subscription. This vault is synced with our 1Password.com website and servers. This vault will be available on all your devices where you have the 1Password application installed or when you sign in to 1Password.com from a web browser.

2 - The browser extension

Can you let me know if the browser extension is now working for you after you've upgraded to 1Password 8?

If you're still running into trouble, please let me know which web browser you're using and if you can see the 1Password icon in your browser's tool bar.

3 - Additional concerns

I know you mentioned a few other topics in your previous message as well. I'll be happy to dig into your questions and feedback once I get 1Password up and running for you.

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

-Zaid

• crablice
    crablice
    Community Member
    Options

I don't see any difference between clicking the 1Password icon in the tool bar and using the time consuming command . Both bring up the search box. Interestingly the search results aren't even sorted. If the number 1 is entered, a panel of sites displayed that are not sorted. Same thing if google is entered. I expected a list of sites sorted by name.

I am using Brave browser extension 2.21.0 . I also get the same results with Chrome beta 2.21.1. The browser 1Password icon is on the tool bar top located right hand part of the display and shows the 1Password icon.

I am using a vault named Personal. I have a subscription.

I think the browser extension is working. It just doesn't produce results like 1Password7.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@crablice

Thank you for the reply. Before we turn to other issues I'd like to circle back to the original issue that you reported running into:

But the extention icon in the menu bar only works once. After using it to access a site, the next time the icon does not do anything. Closing out the browser and restarting the process works. After 1 use the same problem. Reinstalled extension and still fails.

Are you still seeing this issue when you use 1Password in either Brave or Chrome? Let me know and I can help further. Once we make sure that this issue is resolved I would be happy to respond to the other points that you've raised.

-Dave

• crablice
    crablice
    Community Member
    Options

Upgrading to 1password8 solved the original problem

• I'm happy to hear that your main issue is now resolved @crablice

Thanks for clarifying which vaults appear when you're using 1Password. This indicates that your vault is locally stored on your device and is synced with our servers.

I'd like to circle back to the additional concerns that were brought up earlier.

1. Using 1Password's Quick Access feature

Normally, Quick Access will suggest the appropriate item from your vault based on the app or website that is focused on your screen. To help me get a better understanding of the situation, can you provide me with an example use case indicating which application or website you were on while you attempted to use the Quick Access search function?

2. 1Password 8 self learning resources

We have a lot of resources available that can help you learn how you can fully utilize the 1Password 8 application.

Here is a quick introduction video and a detailed web page that explains each feature that is included: 1Password 8 for Mac.

Additionally, I recommend checking out this 1Password University course that will also go over the application's features: Get to know 1Password 8 for Mac - 1Password University

I hope this information helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any further questions!

-Zaid

• crablice
    crablice
    Community Member
    Options

Is everything in the Personal Vault on the mac hard drive? What is stored on your servers and how does your sync work?

• Dave_1P
    Options

@crablice

Thanks for the reply. If you already had a subscription before upgrading then 1Password 8 works the same as 1Password 7 did when it comes to how your data is stored and backed up. Your passwords and other items are stored locally on your Mac so that you always have access to them, even if you don't have internet connectivity.

Your data is also end-to-end encrypted and backed up to your 1Password account. Your 1Password account also ensures that you see all of your items, and all changes made to those items, on all of your devices.

You can read more about sync and how your data is secured here:

Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

-Dave

• crablice
    crablice
    Community Member
    Options

Where is the data stored on the mac hard drive?

• crablice
    crablice
    Community Member
    Options

password8 university sounds good. too bad register does not work

• Dave_1P
    Options

@crablice

Thanks for the reply. 1Password 8 for Mac stores data locally in the following location: ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data

password8 university sounds good. too bad register does not work

I'm sorry that you're having trouble registering, are you clicking on the Register button on the home page? If you are then what exactly isn't working? Entering data into the form or submitting the form? Are you receiving an error message?

-Dave

• crablice
    crablice
    Community Member
    Options

It gives an error credentials problem. I sent it to the university trouble link. Linsey is working on it.
    Thanks

• david.m_1P
    edited March 12
    Options

Thanks for your reply, @crablice!

I can see that you're discussing the issue with 1Password.university over email now with my colleague. Let's continue the conversation over there, and I'll close this thread to prevent having the same conversation in two different places.

-David

ref: FDU-76664-615

This discussion has been closed.