Attachments and moving objects to another safe

Options
Erdnuckl
Erdnuckl
Community Member

Hello,

I move objects from one safe to another. Today I recognized, that attachment weren't move to the new location. Therefore I have two questions:
1. How can I move objects from one safe to another including attachments?
2. What happend to my attachments? Is there a way to recover them?

Thanks in advanced.

1Password Version: 8.10.27
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 14.3.1
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @Erdnuckl! 👋

I'm sorry that you ran into issues moving items from one location to another. Just to clarify: did you move the items to another vault in the same 1Password account? Or did you move the items to a vault in a different 1Password account?

Can you also confirm that the missing information was actually a file attachment and not a link to a related item or document? A missing related item link looks like this:

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• Erdnuckl
    Erdnuckl
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P!
    Thank you for your reply. I moved them to a new vault in the same 1Password account. And your screenshot matches 100% what I'm seeing (only in German, that's why I used "safe" in the first place).

Cheers,
    Torben

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Erdnuckl

Thanks for the reply! There are two different ways to store files in 1Password:

1. By uploading files as their own Document item and then linking them to another item: Link related items in 1Password
    2. By attaching files directly to an existing item: Save important files in 1Password

It sounds that you've used the first option which means that you should see all of your files by opening the 1Password desktop app and then selecting Documents in the dropdown above the centre column.

It's not currently possible to retain item links when moving an item from one vault to another vault due to how the cryptographic architecture of 1Password works. 1Password doesn't actually "move" items from one vault to another. When you "move" an item 1Password creates an entirely new duplicate item in the destination vault with the same data as the original item and then it deletes the original item in the source vault. This is done because each vault in 1Password is encrypted using it's own private key.

I can definitely see that there's room for us to improve this behaviour, and to include a way to fix broken links, and I've filed a feature request on your behalf. For the time being, if you plan to move items between vaults regularly, then I recommend adding files as attachments to items rather than using item links. Attachments don't break when moving items between vaults.

The current broken links you'll need to repair manually, I'm sorry that I don't have a better answer to provide at the moment.

-Dave

ref: PB-38573409

• Erdnuckl
    Erdnuckl
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @Dave_1P,

Thank you for the clarification. Yes, it is a bit confusing, because with the move the original objects are deleted and move to the trash folder. I was able to fix everything. But I have a final question:
    Was there a change in the default handling of attachments? I found that I have a mix of attached and linked items. Until now, I was pretty sure, that I did everything in the same way.

Cheers,
    Torben

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Erdnuckl

Thank for the reply, I'll respond below:

Yes, it is a bit confusing, because with the move the original objects are deleted and move to the trash folder. I was able to fix everything.

I'm sorry for the confusion. 1Password uses a vault system where each vault is encrypted separately. 1Password doesn't actually "move" items from one vault to another. When you "move" an item 1Password creates an entirely new duplicate item in the destination vault with the same data as the original item and then it deletes the original item in the source vault (placing it into Recently Deleted). This is done because each vault in 1Password is encrypted using it's own private key.

Was there a change in the default handling of attachments? I found that I have a mix of attached and linked items.

1Password 8 has supported both options since it was released in 2022, but it's possible that you might have seen different behaviour with previous versions of 1Password or if you were using an older standalone vault before you migrated to a 1Password account.

I'm glad that you were able to fix everything, let me know if you have any other questions.

-Dave

• Erdnuckl
    Erdnuckl
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the clarification, again!

• Dave_1P
    edited March 14
    Options

I'm happy to help, hopefully the team is able to make the process of moving items more intuitive in the future. 🙂

-Dave