Referencing passwords between vaults or shared/linked passwords and groups

Options
HumbleUnicord
HumbleUnicord
Community Member
edited March 6 in Business and Teams

Hello. I'm originally a KeepassXC user but use 1Password at my job.

I'm looking for / requesting a feature to reference password entries between two vaults, possibly with an intermediary shown as subgroup in order to prevent outdated shared information (the copy of an entry) in one vault when it's updated in another. In this specific case two businesses share some infrastructure and account information for infrastructure management should be up-to-date in both vaults. In KeepassXC I would use either a shared Database/KeeShare that contains this information, or, if they're just in different groups/folder structure, create a reference which works similar to a symbolic link but requires them to use the same database.

For 1Password using a vault per organisational structure with different access rights the most feasible way would be either a subgroup with shared access or at least read permissions or an invisible third vault that can be accessed by users of either vault.

This could also extend to access rules for shared objects, allowing people with write access to one or either vault to modify that specific entry while the other can only read it. The access rules could also be per object if some of the shared information is managed by users of one vault while other shared information is managed by users of the other vault (for example: support for infrastructure. Both groups may need access to devices managed by the other group)

The use case in question is managing account data for multiple sites that can have segregated organisational structures. In this specific case IT service and support. I also want to refer to a past discussion here: https://1password.community/discussion/57076/how-can-i-share-a-login-between-vaults

1Password Version: 8.10.28-31.NIGHTLY
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @HumbleUnicord! 👋

Thanks for the suggestion! 1Password uses a vault system where each vault is encrypted using its own cryptographic key, this means that only users who have access to a vault can view the items in that vault and there isn't a way for 1Password to copy details from a vault in one account to another account since we don't have access to those vault details here on our end. We only see encrypted gibberish.

If you need to share passwords and other items with folks from another organization then the best option is to invite those users as guests to your 1Password account:

Once you've added someone as a guest, you can share a vault with them and manage their level of access to that vault: Create, share, and manage vaults in your team

Would that fit your use case? Let me know.

-Dave