Object groups within a vault

Options

Is it possible to create an organisational structure, group or folder within a vault in order to categorize entries within a vault?

While tagging can be used for that, tags are global and it's not possible to limit the view to certain vaults.

Example use case:

• Management of mutliple businesses (each with a separate vault) that have their own organisational substructures
  • License or account information management of multiple applications each with multiple logins that belong to one vault (i.e. a business has multiple licenses for Office365 and other applications)
  • Topic grouping of different accounts for the same applications that would belong to one vault
  • reducing clutter in the alphabetic grouping in the vault by creating a group for topic-specific information (in this case: a lot of objects start with "O" and we want to move the "Office 365" entries in a separate organisational structure, so it is out of view)

1Password Version: 8.10.28-31.NIGHTLY
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @HumbleUnicord! 👋

Thanks for the question. 1Password uses vaults as the basic organizational structure and you can create as many vaults as needed. Folders aren't currently available in 1Password but, as you mentioned, you can use tags to organize items: Organize with favorites and tags

If you add a tag to a shared item then everyone with access to that shared item will be able to see the tag.

You can use collections to organize the vaults that you'd like to work with at any moment in time. Collections allow you to specify which vaults and items you see and search. You can read more about collections here: Use collections to create custom groups of vaults

So, as an example, you could create multiple vaults for organization A for the various types of information that you need to store. Then, when you need to work with those items, you can create and use your "Organization A" collection to just limit 1Password to those vaults. Collections are per-user and they can't be shared with other users.

Let me know if that helps or if I've misunderstood the use case.

-Dave

• HumbleUnicord
    HumbleUnicord
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

sorry for the late reply, I was not at work :)

Collections are not applicable here as we use a vault per customer that we manage and generally search for information within specific vaults. On top of that we use one vault for internals and one for templates (in case we set up new services for customers or for new customers).

Tags on the other hand are usually searched for without specifying a vault and specifying both a vault and a tag is currently just that much more overhead. There's also no visual indication for tags without looking at an entry specifically (for example a colored badge or visual divider).

While a colored indication is always a bit tricky because of accessibility concerns and clutter, a folder structure or visual dividers by topic or the option to add a subgroup would clean up the list of entries (with up to 100 entries per vault here) and make it more accessible, especially for new trainees.

Best Regards

• Dave_1P
    Options

@HumbleUnicord

Thank you for those details. While I can't make any promises, I've forwarded your feedback to our Product team who will look into the feasibility of adding folders, or other additional organizational structures, to vaults in the future.

Thank you for sharing suggestions about how 1Password could become more useful to you and your team. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-38963146