revert PIN unlock fuctionality in 1P8 Android to how v7 worked

Options
sloot
sloot
Community Member

tldr: why does PIN unlock work different in v8 than it did in v7?

I resisted upgrading to 1p8 for a while because there was something I didn't like. I don't remember what that was.

now I'm on the verge of moving my parents into my family plan, and want to set them up properly, so I research how to get the PIN unlock working again.

I found the previous thread from 2022/23 on returning the PIN unlock, with tons of great explanations and +1s in there. I finally get to the blog post that PIN is coming back to 1p8 on Android, but when I read it I realize you've used a different method than it used to be.

I don't want to use my DEVICE PIN, because I want some people to be able to unlock my device. I want to use a unique 1p PIN if I've done a full password unlock within X hours.

I guess my question is why the PIN unlock functionality changed so much. What problem was being solved by removal of that feature, and then adding it back differently?

1Password Version: 8.10.27
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 12
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited March 11
    Options

Hello @sloot! 👋

Thank you for the feedback. You can use a variety of methods to unlock 1Password for Android, depending on your preferences and needs:

While older versions of 1Password did offer the option of a custom PIN, that option was dropped for a variety of reasons including the large numbers of people who set a PIN and thought that this was their account password rather than a specific PIN just for 1Password on that device. Then they moved to another device and, since they hadn't used their actual account password in some time, they found that they no longer remembered their account password and ended up being locked out.

If you're sharing your device PIN with others, something that I don't necessarily recommend doing, then you'll want to stick with either using your account password or biometrics to unlock 1Password.

-Dave