Feature Request: Add "Uppercase" option to random password generators

Options
beer052420
beer052420
Community Member
edited March 18 in Windows

Currently the 1Password random password generators (e.g. at https://1password.com/password-generator/ and in the Windows app and in the Chrome browser extension) only provide the ability to enable/disable "Numbers" and "Symbols". Other password generators (like LastPass) also provide the ability to enable/disable "Uppercase".

This feature is very useful for situations where you want to generate a lowercase-only or lowercase-and-numbers-only password that's easier to type in manually. Currently that's not possible with the 1Password random password generators.

1Password Version: 8.10.27
Extension Version: 2.21.0
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser: Chrome

Comments

• ag_tommy
    Options

@beer052420

Are you using the smart password option? That should give you a mix. If not, try that and see if it helps. (in app) As far as 1Password.com you're correct that option is not able to be customized. I'm hoping that as we get 1Password.com more like the apps we'll have a better experience all around. I'll certainly get your request in front of the team.

• beer052420
    beer052420
    Community Member
    Options

What I ultimately need is a lowercase-only random password. Neither the smart password generator nor the random password generator support that. Adding an "Uppercase" option to the random password generator that's enabled by default but that could be disabled would solve this issue.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@beer052420

Thank you for the reply. The Memorable Password option for the password generator in the 1Password desktop app sounds like the best option here since it is designed to generate passwords that are easy to write down and easy to remember while still being strong and secure. This option also includes a capitalization toggle:

Would that fit your use case here? Let me know. 🙂

-Dave

• beer052420
    beer052420
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave,

The memorable password option comes closer, but it still doesn't provide the same capability as the random password generator would provide if it had the ability to disable uppercase letters (this feature request).

I want to generate a lowercase-only password (i.e. no dashes or other characters) where every character is completely random (i.e. the letters don't spell memorable words) so that it's as short as possible for a desired number of bits of entropy while still being easy to type using a TV remote or other limited input device.

Implementing this feature request is the only way to get that, and other password generators already have this feature. See https://www.lastpass.com/features/password-generator as an example. I recently switched from LastPass to 1Password due to it's reputation for security, but I was surprised to find a simple feature like this was missing from 1Password.

Thanks in advance!

• Dave_1P
    Options

@beer052420

Thank you for sharing those details. While I can't make any promises, I've filed a feature request on your behalf. Our Product team will consider adding more options to the password generator in the future.

Let me know if there's anything else that I can help you with.

-Dave

ref: PB-38964795

• beer052420
    beer052420
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, thank you so much!

• Dave_1P
    Options

Thanks again for the feedback. 🙂

-Dave

• SscoootzZ
    SscoootzZ
    Community Member
    Options

Hopping on the back of this thread, I understand it may fall through the cracks. I'll second the notion/request and amend it to include Settings/Options for choosing which special characters to allow during randomization. In my personal use, I prefer specials with one-word names (at, and, dash, plus, equals, for instance). It's simply easier to memorize and think the most familiar special character names when reciting the pw during use, etc. Example: =A1b2@C#D* versus {A1b2<C]D(. Simpler to (internally) recite "equals big A 1 little b 2 at big C hash big D star", rather than "left curly bracket/left curly big A 1 little b 2 less than big C right bracket big D left paren"... if that makes sense. Especially if it were something like: }/A-1b2(\C...
    I know it may not come up a lot, given that many of us started using these vaults precisely to not memorize poorly-designed and easy-to-remember passwords. Some we have to memorize though. Fwiw

Kind Regards,
    Scott

• Dave_1P
    Options

@SscoootzZ

Thank you for the feedback! 1Password features a memorable password generator that uses an algorithm to generate a secure password that is easier to memorize than a password generated using the random password generator: Use Passphrases for Your Wi-Fi Network and Streaming Apps

If that doesn't fit your use case then can you tell me more about what you're generating these passwords for? That will help me make sure that the team is aware of your need for such a feature.

-Dave