To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Reasons 2 factor wont work - ?

Options
DonM18
DonM18
Community Member
edited March 19 in Memberships

My 2 factor Authenticator that I had setup is not working. I use Microsoft authenticator. it is not working even though I have the time and dates the same. still not working. I need to know what will always work. maybe a different authenticator. ?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_tommy
    Options

@DonM18

• Please see the general information below. I've been handling several such requests recently and disabling the auto set of the time and enabling it again has helped more than a few folks. Be sure not to skip that.

The principal reason a 2FA code doesn't work is that your computer's time is slightly off. 2FA codes are generated by your device using the current time, and they change about every thirty seconds. If your computer clock drifts/differs from the server, a wrong code will be generated. Another way to put it is with the clocks on your computer, and the server differs, and a mismatch in the 2FA codes occurs, resulting in an inability to log in.

Try enabling automatic updating. I like to use https://time.is to check my device time. Nowadays, most all devices set their time automatically. However, hiccups still happen. I have had to toggle my "Set time automatically" settings from On > Off > On. Please don't overlook this step. It has helped more folks than you can imagine.

Also, giving your device a restart may help alleviate any transient issues.