Shared Account, Different Biometrics

Options
bobhowells
bobhowells
Community Member
edited March 19 in Families

My wife and I share a single 1Password account across our various Apple devices. We have no need for a family account or private vaults; we share everything.

But I use an iPhone 15, while she has an iPhone SE. I log in with Face ID. Her phone uses Touch ID. So right now, to use 1P, she has to enter the full master password and manually copy account passwords. Nothing works automatically for her.

On our computers, I use Touch ID; she logs in with the master password.

Is there some way to rectify this so she can use her particular biometrics to use 1Password more efficiently?

PS: Also, if I register a passkey with my biometrics, how does she utilize that passkey?

1Password Version: 8.10.27
Extension Version: 2.21.0
OS Version: iOS 17
Browser: Chrome

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited March 20
    Options

Hey @bobhowells

This is the reason we generally recommend distinct macOS/Windows and iOS user accounts for users for maximum flexibility. That said, you can likely use what you have now. :)

1Password only polls the system to determine is access should be granted. On your phone you're ok by your account. It sounds as if you need to enable Touch ID on her device. This is much the same as Face ID on my iPhone and Touch ID on my iPad. It should be possible to do what you seek.

👇️Use Touch ID to unlock 1Password on your iPhone or iPad

On the Mac (assumes Mac) register another fingerprint (hers) in macOS. That should solve the that aspect. Then there are biometrics all around for you both to enjoy.

• I'm not a heavy Windows user but I would anticipate you might be able to do something like this on that OS.

This (multiple fingerprints) should also solve/answer the passkey question I would think.

• bobhowells
    bobhowells
    Community Member
    Options

Great! Thanks so much. Will give all this a try and report accordingly, but I'm concerned that registering her biometrics will override mine. BTW, you surmised correctly: We're entirely in the Mac/Apple world.

• ag_tommy
    Options

@bobhowells

You should be good to go. I have mine in my kids Macs now. So I do not anticipate you'll experience any trouble.