Database items limit for optimal database performance.

nicos18
nicos18
Community Member

Hi,

I have over 6500 items in my 1Password database.

I'd like to ask what a theoretical limit for optimal performance of the 1Password database could be without slowing it down.

It seems that 1Password is very fast even with many elements; one section where I noticed that it slows down is when I have to search and add for a similar element: in that case I have to slowly digit the first letter, then when the list becomes smaller it's possible to type fast.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 8.10.28
Extension Version: 2.21.0
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser: Edge

Comments

• Hello @nicos18! 👋

Wow 6500 is a lot of items! I'm not aware of any documented limits since this would depend on the device that you're using and what kind of memory/power it has. Since 1Password decrypts your items when you unlock it, having more items will require more resources to decrypt them and a faster and more powerful device will be able to handle that better than a less capable device.

one section where I noticed that it slows down is when I have to search and add for a similar element: in that case I have to slowly digit the first letter, then when the list becomes smaller it's possible to type fast.

So that I can confirm that we're discussing the same thing, are you able to post a screenshot of the field/list where you're seeing performance issues? Are all of your items in one vault or are they in multiple vaults?

-Dave

• nicos18
    nicos18
    Community Member
    edited March 27

Hello @Dave_1P ,

Thanks for the explanation.

I notice that 1Password takes about 375MB of RAM when opened. So it's coherent with what you've said, correct?

And this is the screenshot of the list I was talking about. I'd like also to add that I have all of these elements in only one vault.