Wrong item when editing items using 1Password for iOS

Options
vishalsheth
vishalsheth
Community Member
edited March 25 in iOS

With the new version I've observed that when I try to edit an item, other item gets opened for edit. I have to discard changes and then it show the actual item I want to edit. Now when I click edit I'm actually able to edit the item.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited March 25
    Options

Hello @vishalsheth! 👋

I'm sorry that you're seeing the wrong item open when editing using 1Password for iOS. Our developers recently included a fix in the latest version of 1Password. Please make sure that you've updated and are running 8.10.28: How to keep 1Password up to date

You might see the issue a couple more times after updating as existing drafts are cleared out from the app, this is a data loss prevention measure. When you see the wrong item open, tap on Cancel and then tap on Discard Changes.

If you continue to see the issue then let me know and I'll investigate further.

-Dave

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

It happened to me a number of times. I shall inform if I face it again.

I fail to understand what's data loss prevention measure?

• Dave_1P
    Options

@vishalsheth

Thanks for the question. The fix in 8.10.28 prevents new drafts from getting "stuck" going forward but it doesn't automatically discard existing "stuck" drafts since 1Password is designed to never delete or discard data unless directly requested by a user. You'll need to discard the existing drafts yourself by tapping Cancel and then tapping Discard Changes.

Let me know if you do see the issue again and I can investigate further.

-Dave

• Arnoud
    Arnoud
    Community Member
    edited April 1
    Options

This is still happening to me, showing wrong items that I believe I created after the supposed fix was released.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Arnoud

I'm sorry that you're still seeing the issue. Our developers are continuing to investigate a few edge cases that have been discovered, to help the investigation would you be willing to send in a screen recording of yourself reproducing the issue? You can find instructions on how to produce a screen recording here:

Make sure that the screen recording doesn't contain anything sensitive and don't post it to the forum, I can send you a secure upload link to use. When the recording is ready please send an email to support+forum@1Password.com and include a link to this thread.

After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to locate your message and send you the secure upload link.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#28720
    ref: dev/core/core#28645

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

I believe stuck drafts means in edit mode. Where is that saved? I don't have anything in draft also there no draft folder or anything. Normally an item is edited and saved immediately. There's never a delay unless app doesn't respond.

• Arnoud
    Arnoud
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P I have been unable to reproduce the issue on demand (I tried after the fix, and it seemed indeed fixed until.. it happened again), so it will be hard to record the screen. By the time it happens, I already see the wrong item, so I doubt a video from that point on will be useful. If I can find a way to reproduce it, I will report back.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@vishalsheth

There is no folder, you can discard the draft by tapping on Cancel and then tap on Discard Changes. If that doesn't work, and the issue returns, then are you able to send in a screen recording using the steps in my previous post so that I can investigate further?

-Dave

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Arnoud

I understand that it can be difficult to catch the issue in a screen recording. If you are able to do so, and are able to send in the recording using the steps listed above, then let me know.

That being said, the next time that you run into the issue can you try these steps as a workaround:

1. Tap Cancel on the item draft that appears.
    2. Wait 2 seconds.
    3. Fully close the 1Password app: Close an app on your iPhone or iPod touch – Apple Support (UK)
    4. Open and unlock the 1Password app.
    5. If you see another draft, repeat steps 1-4 again.

The results will tell me more about the situation so that I can advise further. I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• vishalsheth
    vishalsheth
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

I didn’t face that situation. I was just trying to understand what were you saying.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@vishalsheth

I'm sorry for the confusion. Hopefully the situation will be resolved in a future update soon. If you do run into the issue again then let me know if the steps above help.

-Dave

• pRibby
    pRibby
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same issue and am on the latest release 8.10.28

Everything I go to 1Password the wrong item is there. If force restart same thing.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@pRibby

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Our developers are aware of the issue and hopefully a fix is released soon in a future update.

For the time being, please try these steps to workaround the issue:

1. Tap Cancel on the item draft that appears.
    2. Wait 2 seconds.
    3. Fully close the 1Password app: Close an app on your iPhone or iPod touch – Apple Support
    4. Open and unlock the 1Password app.

-Dave

• TechSolvers
    TechSolvers
    Community Member
    Options

We're seeing the same problem. Very annoying, will be great to see this fixed.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@TechSolvers

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, I've let the team know that you're also seeing the issue.

-Dave

• tommy0o
    tommy0o
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there.
    I am in my 14 day trial thinking to swap from Dashlane to 1password.
    I am also facing this problem in my IOS App.
    Everytime I open the App I am either in an edit, or creating something new.
    As far I am reading about the issue this is present back to Feb 2023 or even longer. How long does it take to fix something like this?

I mean its critical opening edit windows in a password manager with unique passwords.

If we would have the same password everywhere and are able to remember, we dont need a manager.

So what do you think is the bugfix time?
    Will I see this in my 14 day trial? If not, I will 100% not migrate from Dashlane.

Best,
    Patrick

• Hi @tommy0o - welcome to 1Password! I'm sorry that this issue has meant that you haven't had the best first impression. It sounds like the issue that you're experiencing, where 1Password will open to Edit mode, is one of the edge cases that Dave mentioned earlier. It's not the exact same behaviour that the other users in this thread were reporting before the release of 8.10.28 (where tapping Edit on an item would sometimes open a different item).

The development team are working to fix the underlying cause, but in the meantime you should find that the following steps will help:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for iOS.
    2. Tap Cancel on the item draft that appears.
    3. Wait for a few seconds, then force-quit 1Password from the App Switcher (swipe up to get to the App Switcher then swipe up on the 1Password app to push it off the top of the screen).
    4. Open & unlock 1Password again.

Once you've completed these steps, I'd recommend not closing 1Password from the App Switcher moving forward (especially until this issue is fixed). There's no reason to close iOS apps from the App Switcher unless they are not responding (see: Quit and reopen an app on iPhone – Apple Support (UK)).