1Password window take the focus and block the unlock via TouchID on latest MacOS

Options
Smith166
Smith166
Community Member

It's really annoying as I'm opening the 1Password from the dock and it opens behind of TouchID popup and take the focus. I had to grab mouse and click on the TouchID window. :(
Any idea how I can fix this, please?

1Password Version: 8.10.28
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 14.3.1
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Smith166
    Smith166
    Community Member
    Options

Tried to attach a short video but it's not working :(

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @Smith166! 👋

I'm sorry that Touch ID isn't working correctly when unlocking 1Password on your Mac. As a first step, can you update macOS to version 14.4: Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

Sometimes just updating macOS and restarting your Mac can help clear out odd issues like this.

If that doesn't work then I'd like to see the video that you mentioned so that I can better understand the situation. Please send an email to support+forum@1Password.com with a link to this thread. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to locate your message and send you a secure upload link to use to send me the video.

-Dave

• BornDeranged
    BornDeranged
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

I have the same problem - when 1PW is locked, it asks for authentication. I try to use Touchid, but the smaller window has lost the focus, so I first need to select the window, making sure not to select one of the buttons, then I can use TouchID. Screenshot attached.

It's been like this since the last update. Completely breaks the workflow. The Safari extension works fine.

1Password for Mac 8.10.28 (81028034)
    macOS 14.4.1

Regards,
    -Patrick

• Dave_1P
    edited March 26
    Options

@BornDeranged

Thank you for the screenshot, I'm sorry that you're seeing a similar issue. Are you able to reproduce the issue on demand or is it random? If you can reproduce the issue then can you post a set of steps that I can follow to reproduce the issue on my end?

If the issue is random then can you tell me the following:

1. Are you using the 1Password app in full screen mode when the issue occurs?
    2. Are you using a Macbook in clamshell mode (with the lid closed and an external monitor connected) when the issue occurs?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#14990

• BornDeranged
    BornDeranged
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Dave

it's not random, it's every time the app locks.

So I just set the timeout to 1 min, and close the app.

Wait 1 min, open the app, it happens. The focus is on the "Enter your password" zone in the large window.

Same if 1PW is in the background for 1 min.

Regards,
    -Patrick

• Dave_1P
    Options

@BornDeranged

Thank you for those details. I've been able to reproduce the issue on one of my test Macs but not another.

So that I can better understand the situation: would you mind telling me if you're only using a family or individual account protected using an account password or Secret Key or if you're also using a work account that uses SSO (something like Okta or Microsoft Entra to unlock? Are you part of our passkey unlock beta by any chance?

-Dave

• BornDeranged
    BornDeranged
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

• I'm using a (European) family account, I'm one of 2 family organisers
    • no beta
    • secret key, 2FA (TOTP), no security key/passkey

HTH, if I missed a part of the question don't hesitate!
    Regards,
    -Patrick

• Dave_1P
    Options

@BornDeranged

Thanks for the reply. From my testing, it looks like focus is lost if the 1Password app's window fills the screen but focus works properly if the window is resized to be smaller.

As a troubleshooting test, can you resize the 1Password apps window so that it doesn't fill the screen. Then close the main window, lock 1Password, and try to reproduce the issue again. Let me know if you still see the problem when the 1Password app's window is smaller.

-Dave

• BornDeranged
    BornDeranged
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P cannot confirm.
    Either the phenomenon is the same, or the smaller window does not appear at all.
    Screenshots attached.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@BornDeranged

Thanks for the reply. Just to make sure that I fully understand the situation can you try the following specific steps in order:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Resize the window so that it doesn't fill the screen. It should be the same size as it is in the second screenshot that you provided (see below).
    3. Close the main window by clicking on the red close circle in the upper left corner of the 1Password app's window.
    4. Right-click on the 1Password icon in the menubar and click Lock.
    5. Right-click on the 1Password icon in the menubar and click Open 1Password.

For step 2 set the window's size to match the following:

At step 5, when the 1Password window opens again, does the Touch ID prompt appear and get focused properly? I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• BornDeranged
    BornDeranged
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P
    I followed your instructions, and the result is the same - the cursor blinks in the "enter your password" field in the larger window. So no, the focus is on the wrong window.
    Regards,
    -Patrick

• Dave_1P
    Options

@BornDeranged

The Touch ID prompt in your screenshot is focused since the fingerprint is red instead of grey even if the cursor is blinking. If you touch your finger to the Touch ID sensor on your Mac does 1Password unlock?

-Dave

• BornDeranged
    BornDeranged
    Community Member
    edited March 27
    Options

@Dave_1P
    You are right indeed, 1P does unlock in that situation (with TouchID).

• Dave_1P
    Options

@BornDeranged

Thank you for your help in testing that scenario. It sounds like Touch ID is focused (the fingerprint in the prompt is red and responds to your fingerprint) when the main window is smaller.

Are you still able to reproduce the fingerprint being grey (forcing you to click on the prompt before you can use Touch ID) when you open the 1Password app? Does it happen if the app is resized to take up the entire screen?

-Dave

• BornDeranged
    BornDeranged
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P Yes indeed, grey when full-screen, red if not full-screen.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@BornDeranged

Thank you for testing that. I can confirm that this is a known issue that our developers are investigating. I've added your report to the internal work item for the issue. I can't say when the issue will be resolved but keep 1Password updated so that you receive the fix as soon as it is released in a future update.

Let me know if there's anything else that I can help you with.

-Dave

• Smith166
    Smith166
    Community Member
    Options

If it helps, I made a video:

https://youtu.be/T7-MigrPFMM

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Smith166

Thank you for the video, I can confirm that you're also seeing the known issue that I mentioned earlier. If you shrink the size of the 1Password window so that it doesn't fill the screen then you can avoid the issue until we have a permanent fix available.

-Dave

• pixelmachine
    pixelmachine
    Community Member
    Options

I came here to mention the exact same issue and I can confirm that along with a load of other little paper cuts this is also driving me mad.

I can also confirm that having the window smaller does not work around the issue at all.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@pixelmachine

I'm sorry that you're seeing the same issue. Can you take a screenshot of your entire screen the next time that the issue occurs so that I can better understand the situation on your Mac? I can only reproduce the issue when the 1Password window is expanded to take up the entire screen like shown in Smith166's Youtube video or when 1Password is used in full screen mode.

Can you also tell me how you're opening the main window when the issue occurs? From the Dock, from the Applications folder, from the menu bar icon, etc...

-Dave

• pixelmachine
    pixelmachine
    Community Member
    Options

Yep I'll try to do that.

I think opening 1P was triggered by the other issue I posted (Safari disconnecting) – I clicked the menu bar icon because the Safari ones weren't working correctly. The main window and Touch ID dialog appeared but presumably the window appeared slightly after the dialog, therefore stealing the focus.

If I remember correctly the main window was slightly off center and about a third the height and width of the screen (I never make it full screen). The Touch ID dialog was overlapping but not covered by it and immediately became inactive when the main window appeared. I can't currently reproduce it now but it happens often enough that I came here to moan!

I also get the situation fairly often of the main window being launched behind other windows so there's definitely something weird about how the main app opens.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@pixelmachine

Thanks for the reply. If you do manage to reproduce the issue again using the latest version of 1Password (8.10.30 at the time of writing) then I'd like to ask for a diagnostics report and screenshot to investigate this further:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave