Passkey Shortcut

Options
nparekh
nparekh
Community Member
edited March 25 in 1Password in the Browser

When prompted to use a passkey to sign into a website, is there a keyboard shortcut to accept and sign in with the prompted passkey? If not, it would be great if one was added.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• EvonG1P
    Options

Hello @nparekh!

Thanks for writing in. There isn't a specific keyboard shortcut to sign in with a passkey with 1Password in the browser.

However, when the passkey prompt appeared, I pressed the Tab key on my keyboard to navigate to the "Sign in" button and then pressed the Space bar key (or the Enter key) to sign in.

I hope that helps!

-Evon

• jwojnowski
    jwojnowski
    Community Member
    Options

Hi!

That would be extremely useful, especially for scenarios where 1Password is locked. When it's unlocked, usually you can just click Enter/Return, but that's not always the case (e.g. Auth0, where the e-mail field has autofocus, stealing focus from 1Password extension).

I find myself very often in the following scenario: the website prompts for the passkey, but 1Password is locked. So, I have to navigate with the cursor, click the unlock and only then I can click "Sign In" in the 1Password passkey prompt.

There are some workarounds for keyboard navigation, like Cmd+Shift+X, Touch ID, Escape and Return/Enter, but that's tedious and hardly user-friendly.

I have two propositions:
    1. Make it possible to enable automatic prompting for biometric unlock (like Touch ID) when 1Password is locked and prompted for the passkey (e.g. the way passkeys work in Safari) or
    2. Add an "Unlock 1Password" shortcut (the opposite of Lock 1Password, Cmd+Shift+L), which would ask for Touch ID.

Some details on the software stack: 1Password 8 (the latest), macOS, Brave/Google Chrome.

Best Regards,
    Jakub

• EvonG1P
    Options

Hello @jwojnowski, thank you for reaching out. I appreciate the feedback you shared. I've passed it along to the team.

In the meantime, can you use the Tab key on your keyboard to navigate to the passkey prompt and then press the Space or Enter/Return key to unlock and sign in?

-Evon

ref: PB-39308672

• jwojnowski
    jwojnowski
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks! Well, it is possible to navigate via Tab, but in my particular use-case it requires either:
    1. pressing Tab 7 times to focus the Unlock 1Password or
    2. pressing Shift+Tab twice and then pressing Escape to focus the Touch ID pop-up.

Jakub

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

If something like this gets implemented (which I would like), please take into account that some users have multiple accounts for some websites, and thus multiple passkeys to chose from (instead of confirming a single one).

• Dave_1P
    Options

@jwojnowski

Thank you for the feedback, I've passed it along to the team. 🙂

@XIII

Thank you for those additional suggestions, I've shared them with the team as well.

-Dave