Can 1Password be made to work with MetaMask Crypto Wallet?

Options
steven_morris
steven_morris
Community Member
edited March 25 in Mac

Using MetaMask on firefox. Would love to be able to have 1Password enter my MetaMask password instead I have to open 1Pass search for MetaMask, then CopyPasta over the password. Maybe there is no data structures that can link the two? MetaMask now has a plug-in feature. Perhaps there could be a 1Pass Snap for MetaMask.

I'm also wondering about using 1Pass with other crypto wallets. Is there one it works with? Perhaps this is an issue with all browser wallet plug-ins.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.28 (81028034)
Extension Version: 2.21.0
OS Version: 12.7.4
Browser: Firefox

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @steven_morris! 👋

Thank you for reaching out. I don't believe that Firefox allows one extension to access another extension and I'm not seeing a way to fill a password from 1Password into a field in the MetaMask's moz-extension:// page.

However you can drag and drop your password from the 1Password's pop-up in your browser to the password field. Would that provide you with a working option here?

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

-Dave

• steven_morris
    steven_morris
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply Dave. I'm not sure what the "pop-up" is since there are a few different ways to activate 1Pass. I have 1Pass icon in my Firefox toolbar and have not been using it. [Duh!] I always activate the full app with Alfred. I discovered that I can easily copy the password from the toolbar icon and then past it in to Metamask when activate that icon. Easy enough. It will do the trick.

There is one Metamask Snap that is "an encrypted password manager Snap designed to work with… dapps that have implemented the EthSign Keychain API" I don't know how close this is to what we currently know as Password Managers for Web2.
    Something that might be worth exploring if you have a roadmap to evolve 1Pass into a Web3/Dweb app.

However, your answer helped me discover a better way to use what is right there. Thanks.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@steven_morris

I'm happy that you found a workaround that works for you. Regarding dragging and dropping, I was referring to the pop-up that appears when you click on the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar:

There is one Metamask Snap that is "an encrypted password manager Snap designed to work with… dapps that have implemented the EthSign Keychain API" I don't know how close this is to what we currently know as Password Managers for Web2. Something that might be worth exploring if you have a roadmap to evolve 1Pass into a Web3/Dweb app.

Thank you for the suggestion! While I can't make any promises, I've forwarded your comments and a link to Metamask's developer documentation for MetaMask Snaps to our Product team so that they can look into this further.

Let me know if there's anything else that I can help you with.

-Dave

ref: PB-39021406

• steven_morris
    steven_morris
    Community Member
    Options

Regarding dragging and dropping, I was referring to the pop-up that appears when you click on the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar:

That's what I tried. Metamask is also a toolbar icon, so I can't drag to it. If I open Metamask first, it's not sticky. Going to 1Pass closes Metamask. But copy past from 1Pass first, right there on the tool bar, works just fine.

A 1Password Snap for Metamask could be really cool. And a great product differentiator. Or it could be completely useless. I have no idea if there is a business case for it beyond wanting to save me a couple of clicks. I would be thrilled if it was a useful suggestion. But don't implement it just for me. 😝

• Dave_1P
    Options

Thanks again for the request, the team will consider it as they're planning future updates to 1Password. 🙂

-Dave