REQUEST: Better default screen position for Quick Access menu

Options
Bikr
Bikr
Community Member
edited March 26 in Mac

The current default location of the Quick Access menu conflicts with macOS's system password prompt. Since the password prompt is topmost in the Z-order, the Quick Access displays under the password prompt. It should have a default location that doesn't overlap.

1Password Version: 8.10.28
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 14.1.1
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Bikr
    Bikr
    Community Member
    edited March 26
    Options

While you can drag Quick Access to a new position (which is great, though it should be more obvious IMO), the new location is only remembered until 1Password or macOS is restarted. Then, it reverts to the original position, which is annoying.

This has been an issue for a while, as shown in this earlier request from Aug 2021 (now closed):
    https://1password.community/discussion/122824/request-persist-quick-access-location-between-restarts

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @Bikr! 👋

Thank you for reaching out! Quick Access will always center itself when you launch 1Password so that the window doesn't get lost if you're using a lot of other apps or a larger display.

That being said, I can see how it would be better to always have Quick Access avoid overlapping with macOS system prompts. Our developers have an internal work item open to address this issue in the future and I've added your comments there. Thank you for the feedback.

Let me know if there's anything else that I can help you with.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#13247

• Bikr
    Bikr
    Community Member
    edited March 26
    Options

Well, it's not centered vertically, it's about a quarter down from the top, where macOS also likes to place their prompt.

So perhaps the fix is to center it vertically? 🤔

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Bikr

The vertical position is intentional. As you noted, that's just about where Spotlight opens as well and it might be confusing to have to look for Quick Access in a different location.

That being said, I personally agree that the behaviour can be improved here for how Quick Access positions itself against macOS system prompts and the team is looking into it. 🙂

-Dave

• Bikr
    Bikr
    Community Member
    Options

…that's just about where Spotlight opens as well and it might be confusing to have to look for Quick Access in a different location.

If that's the logic then why not reset the position after every use? Seems that if someone moves it, they did it for a reason so it should be remembered until they move it again, not reset it at an arbitrary time like a restart.

Also, Spotlight does remember custom positions between restarts, so if anything, it should follow the same behavior as that's what Mac users will expect.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Bikr

That's useful feedback, I've passed it along to the team. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how 1Password could be improved in the future to better fit your needs. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-38981596