Last-used vs. Alphabetical Entries: bug or unhelpful product feature?

Options
JasonDunnCA
JasonDunnCA
Community Member
edited March 29 in iOS

I was sure that when triggering 1Password on my iPad in the browser (Edge in my case) how it used to work is it would show the most recent item used on that page if there were multiple entries. It no longer does that, it shows whichever is first in the alphabet, which is unhelpful. 😞

Take Wealthfront.com for example. I have two entries for that site, one for my wife (who’s name starts with “A”) and one for myself (who’s name starts with “J”). It used to offer my entry every time since that was the most recently used one. Now, every single time it offers my wife’s entry by default. This means I need to tap the key icon to open the 1Password UI, select my entry, then log in.

Is this new behaviour a bug or a product manager thinking a change was needed? LastUsed is definitely the right way to go.

1Password Version: 8.10.28
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 17.4.1
Browser: Edge

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @JasonDunnCA! 👋

Thanks for reaching out! The suggestions that you see above your keyboard are generated by an iOS feature called AutoFill using data that 1Password passes to iOS. Only the screen that appears when you tap the key icon is generated by 1Password itself.

You can choose which items are suggested above your keyboard by setting which collection AutoFill pulls suggestions from:

1. Open and unlock the 1Password for iOS app.
    2. Tap the icon for your account or collection at the top left and choose Settings. (If you’re using an iPad, tap your account or collection at the top of the sidebar.)
    3. Tap on AutoFill.
    4. Change "Show filling suggestions from" to the desired collection. For example, you can choose a collection that includes the vault that stores your items but not the vault(s) that store your wife's items.

If you need a login from another collection then you can tap the key icon above the keyboard and then select another collection in the 1Password window that opens. 🙂

-Dave

• JasonDunnCA
    JasonDunnCA
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave. I just checked and all my settings that you've outlined in 1Password are correct. My wife does not have her own vault, we share one.

You're sure nothing has changed recently with how 1Password sends data to iOS for AutoFill? Because I swear it used to show me my logins by default and I didn't have to go into 1Password to pick my login.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@JasonDunnCA

Thank you for the reply. I'm not aware of any recent changes from the 1Password end of things. I would recommend keeping your logins in a separate vault (ideally a separate account) from your wife so that you can have more control over the logins that are suggested by 1Password when signing into different websites.

If you're using 1Password Families then you can use this guide to create a new account for your wife and help her move her logins to her own account:

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dave

• JasonDunnCA
    JasonDunnCA
    Community Member
    Options

A husband and wife keeping separate vaults does not sound like it would improve marital harmony, so no, that's not going to happen. 😂

• Dave_1P
    Options

@JasonDunnCA

That's how many families use 1Password (including my own), everyone has their own account and then keep logins that need to be shared in a shared vault: Share passwords with your family

But I understand that different families have different needs and goals and, if you wish, you can still use the same account but just have different vaults in that same account for you and your wife. Then you both retain access to all vaults while being able to control which vault you see suggestions from on your own devices using the steps in my first reply.

-Dave