Don't get option to create Windows Hello passkey

SimonHampel
SimonHampel
Community Member
edited April 2 in Windows

This question is not related to 1Password - I'm having no problems there, this is specifically a Windows question, I figured I'd ask here since 1Password people are generally up to speed with passkeys and Windows security!

I am a member of a website which has recently implemented passkeys, which is great.

I've been able to successfully create passkeys for 1Password and my YubiKey devices - all good.

I was able to create a Windows Hello passkey on my desktop.

However, my laptop won't give me the option to create a Windows Hello passkey - these are the only options I get:

I have no issues creating Windows Hello passkeys for other sites on my laptop.

I was able to create a Windows Hello passkey for this problematic site on another desktop and on another laptop - so it definitely works.

Any suggestions on how to troublesheoot this?

All machines tested are running Windows 11 and have all updates installed.

I've tried rebooting the laptop.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @SimonHampel! 👋

Thanks for reaching out! I recommend that you save all of your passkeys in 1Password so that you don't have to manage multiple credential managers at the same time. That being said, you could check to make sure that Windows Hello is setup properly: Learn about Windows Hello and set it up - Microsoft Support

If that doesn't work then I would recommend reaching out to Windows support directly. It's also possible that another member of the community here might have other ideas. 🙂

-Dave

• SimonHampel
    SimonHampel
    Community Member

Just FYI - I suspect this was an implementation issue at the website end.

They released a new version and I was then able to create a Windows Hello passkey on my laptop, which I have subsequently been able to use to log into that website.

Strange that it worked on one computer but not on another - but there you go.