MacOS + Safari: fighting with 1Password when unlock with passkeys enabled

Options
andeke07
andeke07
Community Member

I have been using a passkey-only vault for some time now. In general, it works fine but I'm wondering if anyone can help with the 'ideal' setup on MacOS.

Current Setup:

• Passkey-only vault (created a new one for the sake of this and moved all my credentials over to it)
  • Passkeys provided in to my account for my MacBook, iPhone and Windows PC
  • Safari web browser

What I've noticed is that in order to unlock my vault, I need to turn on 'Use Passwords and Passkeys from iCloud Keychain'. Once I have that enabled, I can unlock my vault no problem. I'm prompted for my fingerprint to provide my Passkey from the system to 1Password and away I go. However, now, when using Safari, I will get competing auto-fill prompts (system and 1Password). An example:

This goes away if I then disable 'Use Passwords and Passkeys from iCloud Keychain' but now, if I need to unlock my vault again, I am only prompted to scan a QR code because my Mac is no longer looking for the passkey on the system (technically I can do this too but maybe my phone is in the other room or something).

There is no way to disable this only in Safari as it disables it system-wide (there's a good argument to be made that one shouldn't disable the other, I think but not sure I'd get much traction asking this of Apple!) and annoyingly this also feeds through to iOS and I then get 2 password managers enabled there as well.

Am I missing something here, is there a 'best practice' setup to have this be a little more seamless with Safari? (I'm really hoping the answer isn't just 'use another browser' :))

1Password Version: 8.10.30-11
Extension Version: 2.22.1
OS Version: MacOS 14.2.1
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @andeke07! 👋

Thank you for helping test passkey unlock in the 1Password beta! If you've saved your passkey for 1Password in iCloud Keychain then iCloud Keychain must indeed be turned on in Safari for that passkey to be used.

The best workflow for now, if you'd like to keep the passkey in iCloud Keychain, is to turn iCloud Keychain on whenever you're prompted for a passkey and then turn it back off otherwise. When the 1Password desktop app is installed, you'll usually be able to unlock 1Password using biometrics (or your Apple) rather than having to use your passkey each time.

That being said, the passkey unlock feature is still in beta and I've passed your experience along to the team so that they can consider how this workflow can be improved in the future before the feature graduates from beta.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-39224926