Issues using passkeys on the Best Buy and Sony Playstation websites

Options
hmurchison
hmurchison
Community Member

This technology is not ready. Passkeys has blown up on my Best Buy login and I just had to deactivate it on my Sony Playstation. It's anything but seamless in some incarnations. I went from fast logins via the browser to scanning QR codes and hoping that somewhere in the handoff the login doesn't fail. Great technology is indistinguishable from Magic and Passkeys right now not only is not magic but it's pain.

When can we expect to see real world Passkeys mirror the experience that is demoed where it's as if I don't even have a password sites just log in?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @hmurchison! 👋

I'm sorry that you ran into issues when signing into your Best Buy and Sony accounts using a passkey. You shouldn't need to scan any QR codes unless you're signing in on a computer that doesn't have 1Password in the browser installed. Instead, you should see the following appear in your browser when signing in:

Click Sign In and that's it! If you didn't see this prompt then can you tell me the following:

1. Is the 1Password extension installed in your browser?
    2. Did you follow the steps in our guide: Save and sign in with passkeys in your browser
    3. Are you using a 1Password account from your employer? If you are then is it possible that they've turned the passkey feature off for your account?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• hmurchison
    hmurchison
    Community Member
    Options

Dave thanks It may be just Sony wanting extra protection with new account signups. I'll turn passkey back on after a bit. Some sites passkey logins are transparent and "magical" so I know 1P isn't the issue here. Sorry for my rant I was in account setup chaos.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@hmurchison

Let me know how things go! One note: at the moment there's an issue with filling your email address into the Sony website where you'll see a "Something went wrong" error message after filling. I recommend that you copy and paste your email address into the Sony website and then follow the prompts to sign in after that.

Our developers are working to get a fix released for the email address filling issue in an upcoming update to 1Password.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#27516