Setting a different password for a phone?

Options
adam667
adam667
Community Member

I have a complex local password to unlock 1password on my Mac. I'd like to set a different password to unlock my vaults on my phone because the switch between upper/lower/symbols makes it a real pain to type on the phone. Is this possible and if so how do i do it?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @adam667! 👋

Thank you for reaching out. You can unlock 1Password on your iPhone more conveniently by using either Touch ID / Face ID or your device passcode to unlock the app. You can read more here:

It's not possible to unlock 1Password using a different password on different devices since the password that you enter is your account password which decrypts your data. You only have one account password. If you don't wish to use biometrics or your account password to unlock the 1Password app then you can also change your account password to one that is easier to type in: How to choose a good 1Password account password

I hope that helps! 🙂

-Dave

• adam667
    adam667
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks.

Please convert this to a feature request. I think my most vulnerable system (a desktop) should have a stronger password and don't wish to downgrade security to the level of faceid on my phone.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@adam667

Thank you for the reply. I'd like to better understand the threat that you're trying to protect against so that I can best communicate your request to the team. Can you tell me a little more about the vulnerability that you're trying to protect against on your desktop?

This guide was published a few years ago but it has a great breakdown of how difficult it is to guess an account password like arbor-anxiety-vanuatu-ingrate if the account password is randomly generated by 1Password: How Strong Should your Account Password be?

On the iPhone and iPad, our team has worked hard to make Face ID secure, you can read more here: About Face ID security in 1Password for iOS

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• adam667
    adam667
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks -- the vuln on the desktop is it runs a lot of relatively badly sandboxed software (compared to a phone).

Separately, FaceID is not secure if you travel in places where the police can take your phone and wave it in front of your face.

I suppose I could swap to a three word passphrase.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@adam667

Thank you for the reply. I'm not sure that I understand the threat model when it comes to the desktop. You need to enter your account password and Secret Key into the desktop app in order to authenticate your 1Password account. Without your account password and Secret Key, the app can't access your 1Password account.

1Password for Mac uses several technologies to keep your data safe, including things like Secure Input to help protect against keyloggers. But I recommend that you only use 1Password on devices that you trust where you're only running software that you trust. 1Password isn't designed to be used on a Mac that is running untrustworthy software or is infected by malware.

Separately, FaceID is not secure if you travel in places where the police can take your phone and wave it in front of your face.

Have you considered unlocking 1Password for iOS using your device passcode: Use your device passcode, PIN, or pattern to unlock 1Password

-Dave