iPad app not linking properly into 1Password

Options
PhilipMilford
PhilipMilford
Community Member

The WeightWatchers app does not link into 1Password properly on my iPad (10thGen) - which means I have to copy the username and password into the app.

1Password Version: iPad version 8.10.28
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iPad OS 17.4.1
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @PhilipMilford! 👋

On the iPad, AutoFill is specifically handled by iOS through an Apple feature named iOS Password AutoFill and 1Password only provides the data for the experience. Before we continue can you make sure that Password AutoFill is setup to work with 1Password:

1. On the Home screen, tap Settings.
    2. Tap Passwords > Password Options.
    3. Turn on AutoFill Passwords.
    4. Select 1Password.

Then try to fill your login again using this guide: Use 1Password to fill and save on your iPhone and iPad

Password AutoFill will match the apps that you use to your login items in 1Password by taking the associated domain associated with an app and comparing it against the website URL in your login items. If there is a match then Password AutoFill will offer to fill your login information.

If your login item is not being suggested for a particular app then you'll need to add the app's associated domain to your login item in 1Password. When you tap on the username or password field in an app you'll see the Password AutoFill prompt appear (above your keyboard), tap on the prompt and then search for the appropriate login item. Then, tap on that Login Item and tap Fill & Update Login.

1Password will add the app’s associated domain to the Login Item so that, the next time you try to login to that app, Password AutoFill will suggest the right login. Let me know if you run into any issues.

-Dave

• PhilipMilford
    PhilipMilford
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave but it still is not working properly. I have made the changes to the iOS Password AutoFill as you outlined but when I try and log in to the WeightWatchers app and get the "Email or username" field and then tap in the field I get nothing; if I tap again, I get a little bubble with "AutoFill". When I tap on "Autofill" then I get a new bubble with three choices "Contacts, Passwords or Scan Text". Selecting "Contacts" gets a list of all our contacts in the system and "Scan Text" turns on the camera and enters any text in the picture onto the screen. Selecting "Passwords" results in a new window requiring you to "Enter the iPad passcode to view passwords" which then takes you to another window to "Choose a password to AutoFill" from the Apple iOS (not 1Password) and it is blank because we have no passwords saved in the Apple iOS system.

Alternatively, when I get the "Email or username" field in the log in process for the app, it I open 1Password and copy the username and paste it into the field and select "Next", then it does provide me with a chance to select select a password from 1Password but I have to log into 1Password again (even though it is already open). Once I log into 1Password it then inserts the correct password for the app into the input field. Then I can select the "Log In" button and it logs into the WeightWatchers app. Instead of entering my long password for 1Password twice, I would just open it once and then manually copy the username and password into the app - that is what I have been doing with the four Android apps that I cannot get to link properly with 1Password.

• Dave_1P
    edited April 5
    Options

@PhilipMilford

I'm sorry that things still aren't working. There is indeed currently an issue in iOS where double-tapping on a field and then tapping AutoFill > Passwords will not respect your password manager selection from Settings > Passwords > Password Options (where you chose to use 1Password) and will instead bring up iCloud Keychain regardless of your selection. If you don't have anything saved in iCloud Keychain, you'll just see an empty list.

We've reported the issue to Apple, hopefully it will be fixed in a future update. For now, you'll need to use the "Passwords" prompt above the keyboard instead.

When you tap on the username or password field in an app you should see a "Passwords" prompt appear above your keyboard. I've tested the Weight Watchers app and I don't see that prompt appearing which means that iOS AutoFill isn't detecting the username field and you'll need to paste your username from 1Password into the app (as you mentioned already doing): Copy and fill passwords into apps that don't work with 1Password

I would also recommend reporting the issue to the developer of the Weight Watchers app so that they can investigate why their app isn't working properly with iOS AutoFill. Sending them Apple's developer documentation for iOS AutoFill might help: Password AutoFill | Apple Developer Documentation

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#24225

• PhilipMilford
    PhilipMilford
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your help Dave. WeightWatchers makes it very difficult to contact their technical support. I finally found an email address and wrote out everything in an email and it bounced back since it is no longer a monitored email - they want you to talk to one of their "coaches" so I did a chat with a "coach" (who is probably just an AI bot) and copied in the contents of my email and asked them to forward that to their Technical Support Team. I am not optimistic...

• Dave_1P
    Options

@PhilipMilford

Thank you for reporting the issue to Weight Watchers, hopefully their team is able to improve the situation. Let me know if there's any other assistance that I can provide from the 1Password end of things.

-Dave