Add spaces in generated passwords

Options
MIfoodie
MIfoodie
Community Member

Pretty self explanatory, currently (maybe I just haven't generated a password with one) but I've never seen a generated password use a space in it. Adding the ability for passwords to have spaces in them would make your passwords much more secure with much more possible variations.

I added this to the "Lounge" category because this isn't necessarily for any specific version (Windows, iOS, Linux, etc.) and I don't see a "General" category for features that have not been implemented in any version of 1Password.

1Password Version: 8.10.28
Extension Version: 2.22.1
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @MIfoodie! 👋

Thank you for the feedback! There are quite a few different characters that the team could have chosen to include in the random password generator but didn't in order to ensure that passwords remain compatible with the majority of services and websites.

A few years ago we changed the set of characters that the password generator in the 1Password app uses so that generated passwords were compatible with the majority of websites. A lot of websites don't support the expanded set of characters and users were running into an issue where the passwords generated by 1Password were being rejected because of an included symbol. The characters that are now included in the generated passwords are supported by most websites which lessens the risk of a generated password being rejected by a website.

I recommend that you use the password generator to generate your passwords and ensure that they're rated Excellent or Fantastic by 1Password:

You can read more about generating secure passwords here: Use the password generator to change and strengthen your passwords

Let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

-Dave