Asking form-fill not to overwrite what is already filled?

Options
josepk
josepk
Community Member
edited April 15 in 1Password in the Browser

Hello,

I use 1Password's form-fill feature almost daily. It works great (thank you, devs!), but I have one gripe: It will always overwrite whatever I have typed in manually.

For example, I recently filled out a web page with my personal information (name, address, phone number, etc.). The wrinkle here is that the phone number required a non-standard format, so I typed it out manually and then used form fill to complete the rest. However, form fill (not knowing any better) also overwrote what I had typed in the phone number field and messed it up. I had to go back into the phone number field to correct it manually.

This type of thing happens to me at least once per week.

My ask -> Is there an option to have the form filled and ignore any fields already populated with data? If that isn't an option, can we add it in a future release? :)

Thank you!

Joe

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @josepk! πŸ‘‹

I'm sorry that you're seeing your manually typed in fields being overwritten. Have you considered filling your identity item first and then correcting the phone number afterwards as needed? Is there a reason why you type in the phone number first and then fill your item?

That being said, I'm not seeing 1Password overwrite a manually typed in phone number on a test form. Are you able to link to one of the forms where you've noticed this issue so that I can do some testing? The form would need to be available without having to login.

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• josepk
    josepk
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave - I will be on the lookout for when it happens next and send you a link or a screen capture. It does occur quite often.

Thank you,

Joe

• josepk
    josepk
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave, Here's an example from today. I typed in my legal name, "Joseph," and autofill overwrote it to "Joe."

On the site myworkdayjobs.com.

https://app.screencast.com/TSmSvjJ9YPzFK

• josepk
    josepk
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave - have you had a chance to review this one ☝️

• Dave_1P
    Options

@josepk

Thanks for the screen recording, it looks like you're actively choosing to fill your identity into a field and 1Password is then filling the item that you've chosen as intended.

For this specific website, I would recommend filling your identity item first and then changing the name rather than typing in the name first and then filling the identity item. That should allow you to fill your identity and then make any corrections needed. Would that work for you? πŸ™‚

-Dave

• josepk
    josepk
    Community Member
    Options

It would :)

But sometimes, I forget to type my name before using the autofill.

Can there be a toggle in the settings that says something like "Do not overwrite existing data"?

• Dave_1P
    Options

@josepk

I can certainly see how such an option could be useful in the situations that you've described. While I can't make any promises, I've filed a feature request on your behalf to have the product team consider adding such as toggle to 1Password in the browser in the future.

Thank you for the feedback. πŸ™‚

-Dave

ref: PB-39598297

• josepk
    josepk
    Community Member
    Options

Super! And thank you for listening πŸ₯³

• Dave_1P
    Options

Thanks again for the feedback. πŸ™‚

-Dave