Using 1Password in Mullvad browser with "Never remember history"

Options
soum
soum
Community Member
edited April 16 in 1Password in the Browser

I'm trying to use 1Password extension on Mullvad browser and your extension is forcing me to turn off "never remember history" and "always use private browsing mode" so it can store local data. This is breach of privacy.

1Password Version: 8.10.28
Extension Version: 2.221
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Mullvad

Comments

• EvonG1P
    Options

Hello @soum. Thank you for reaching out. I can explain the browser limitation that prevents 1Password from working in browsers based on Firefox, including Mullvad, when “Never remember history” is turned on.

When you install 1Password in the browser and log into your account, an IDB database connection is created, and that connection string is stored locally on your device. This database connection serves as an integral function to using 1Password in the browser and allows you to do things like sync your data with our server (so your account data can be accessed on other devices in real time) and authorize your login session. Because of the way that Firefox variants like Mullvad handles this connection data storage locally, if 'Never remember history' is turned on, the IDB database connection string isn't stored properly, and issues arise.

However, there is a workaround in which your browsing history won't be remembered, and you can still allow the use of 1Password in Mullvad:

1. Click ( ☰ ) menu at the top right of your browser toolbar and click Add-ons and Themes.
    2. Click the three dots next to the 1Password and choose Manage.
    3. Make sure that "Run in Private Windows" is set to Allow.
    4. Click on Mullvad Browser Settings at the bottom left of the screen and choose Privacy & Security.
    5. Under "History" change "Mullvad will" is set to Remember History.

Now you can open a Private Window in Mullvad, and 1Password will be available, but the browsing history won't be stored.

If you prefer using Mullvad in the "Never remember history" or "Always use Private Browsing" mode, here is another workaround for that:

1. Under History, change Mullvad to "Use custom settings for history".
    2. Uncheck all options except for "Clear history when Mullvad closes".

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

-Evon

• soum
    soum
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the detailed reply. Changing default settings of the browser makes you uniquely identifiable, that defies the purpose of blending in. So I'm not sure if this is the best workaround.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@soum

Without access to the local database, 1Password in the browser won't be able to function as my colleague noted. This is a consequence of how Firefox, and Firefox-variants like Mullvad, have designed the "Never remember history" feature. You can find our official documentation here: If you see “can't store local data” in Firefox

Are you using a Mac by any chance? You could try using Universal Autofill if you don't want to use the workarounds listed above to get the browser extension working: Use Universal Autofill in apps and browsers on your Mac

-Dave