Feature Request - Link to related item in a different vault

Options
SyberCorp
SyberCorp
Community Member
edited April 17 in Mac

Please add a way to link to an item in another vault. Assuming you have access to all vaults in play, there should be a way to link to a related item no matter which vault it's in. For example, linking a login item in my personal vault to a secure note in a shared vault.

1Password Version: 8.10.30
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 14.4.1
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @SyberCorp! 👋

Thank you for the feedback! I agree that being able to link items in different vaults would be a useful feature and I've passed your request along to the team.

If the feature is added to 1Password in the future then you'll see it mentioned in our release notes: 1Password Releases

Let me know if there's anything else that I can help you with. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-39332936

• Tonetony
    Tonetony
    Community Member
    Options

Funny, I came to the forum here JUST to ask if this was possible, and search led me to this post.

Use case: I might want to share a vault with someone - but not share some notes I've made. I make extensive notes in some Login items - technical details, customer service communications, trouble tickets... all kinds of things I've memorialized but would neither need nor want others to see. Sometimes my notes ramble, and they are for my eyes only. All people would need would be my passwords, to be able to take care of business if I were unable to. If this feature were available, I'd move personal notes out of Notes sections, and into Secure Notes in a non-shared vault, and link 2-ways between them through Related Items.

One of the things that would have to be considered should you ever design such a thing, is that gotcha: sharing one or more vaults, but not the vaults that contain some Related Items. It should simply result in an error message.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@tonytony

Thank you for the detailed description of your use case! I've passed it along to the team.

For the time being, you can use private links to accomplish much of the same functionality. Use item links to help others find items in shared vaults

Private links, not share links (which grant access to an item even if someone doesn't have access to the vault that the item is in), link directly to an item and only work for those who already have access to the vault that the item is in. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-39415047

• Tonetony
    Tonetony
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you - sorry for the delay in responding.

Can you clarify private links? You write they "link directly to an item and only work for those who already have access to the vault that the item is in." But if they "already have access" to the vault the item is in, doesn't that mean they already have access to the Item and by extension any Related Items it links to, even if the related item is in a non-shared vault?

The Share link option might behave closer to what I'd want - because they work to link to an item even if the vault is NOT in general being shared. But perhaps this also allows access to related items regardless of the vault they are in.

The workaround is to just create unlinked Secure Notes in an unshared vault, move all the notes text into them, and just manually open them when needed.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Tonetony

I'm sorry for the confusion. In your previous reply you wrote:

If this feature were available, I'd move personal notes out of Notes sections, and into Secure Notes in a non-shared vault, and link 2-ways between them through Related Items.

If you do the same thing, move your notes into Secure Notes in a non-shared vault, then you can generate a private link to those private Secure Notes and add the private link to the notes section of the original item in the shared vault so that you can check your private Secure Notes at any time but others can't.

Let me know if that helps to clarify the suggestion. 🙂

-Dave

• Tonetony
    Tonetony
    Community Member
    Options

Ah yes, I did misunderstand. Interesting. I can create a private link from both items to point to each other. Each access does open a tab to 1password.com, from where I can have it open the app on my Mac (and I hope there is no downside to my allowing it to always open the app, which is most convenient). Now I have to test out a shared vault, with private link(s) to a non-shared vault, with a 3rd party.

This is a promising, workable solution. Thanks!

• Dave_1P
    Options

I'm happy to help! And thanks again for the feature request. 🙂

-Dave