Nonexistent passkey blocks 1PW autofill at PayPal and TOTP filling issues

Options
Piwi
Piwi
Community Member
edited April 19 in 1Password in the Browser

I had activated passkeys on PayPal once, but deleted it again because PayPal (like almost all website operators except Synology) does a poor job of implementing passkeys. So I deleted the passkey in both 1Password and PayPal itself. Now only the login via user name and password is available. If I now want to log in to PayPal, my macOS or Safari still shows me the option to log in using a passkey (it's not the 1PW window). This then overrides the automatic filling of the username and password by the 1Password Browser Extension (it then no longer works). This is strange because I have completely disabled autofill and keychain password management in both Safari and macOS. I also deleted the browser cache and the PayPal cookie, but the issue still persists. What could be the reason?

1Password Version: 8.10.30
Extension Version: 2.22.1
OS Version: macOS 13.6.6
Browser: Safari 17.4.1

Comments

• Piwi
    Piwi
    Community Member
    edited April 17
    Options

When I log in to PayPal, 1Password no longer autofills the 2FA code. I now have to inconveniently copy this to the clipboard using the 1PW app and paste it back into PayPal. This applies to both 1PW on the Mac and 1PW on the iPhone.

1Password Version: 8.10.30
    Extension Version: 2.22.1
    OS Version: macOS 14.4.1
    Browser: Safari 17.4.1

• r8ders2k
    r8ders2k
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, I have to manually copy and paste in the 2FA from 1Password.

• Piwi
    Piwi
    Community Member
    Options

But this was better before.

• Dave_1P
    edited April 17
    Options

Hello @Piwi and @r8ders2k! 👋

I'm sorry that 1Password in the browser isn't automatically filling your one-time password for PayPal when signing in using a passkey. This is a known issue that is in our developer's backlog and I've let them know that you're both affected as well. When the issue is resolved, you'll see the fix noted in 1Password's release notes:

For the time being, you'll need to manually copy your one-time password from 1Password and paste it into PayPal.

For the iPhone and iPad, 1Password uses the iOS native filling feature to sign into websites and apps using a passkey, this feature doesn't support filling one-time passwords. However you can have 1Password automatically copy your one-time password for an app or website to the clipboard so that you can paste it into the app when filling your login information:

1. Open and unlock 1Password 8 on your iPhone or iPad.
    2. Tap the icon for your account or collection at the top left and choose Settings.
    3. Tap AutoFill.
    4. Turn on "Copy One-Time Passwords".
    5. Go back to Settings.
    6. Tap Notifications.
    7. Turn on "One-Time Passwords".

Then, sign in to PayPal using your passkey again. You should see a notification that 1Password has copied the one-time password to your clipboard. You can then paste the one-time password into the app: Select, cut, copy, and paste text on iPhone - Apple Support (CA)

I hope that helps.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#24349

• Piwi
    Piwi
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @Dave_1P,
    thank you for your quick response. But this doesn't have anything to do with passkeys. I haven't set up any passkeys for PayPal and only use the login via username/password and 2FA code. And this doesn't work on both Mac and iPhone (PayPal app) – even though I had already made the settings as you described.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Piwi

My apologies, I read that you had been using a passkey for PayPal in your other thread and missed the part where you said that you had stopped using a passkey.

Let's focus on Safari on the Mac first and then we can take a look at the iOS issue later. When I sign in to PayPal.com using Safari on my Mac and using my email address and password I follow these steps:

1. Go to https://www.paypal.com/signin
    2. Click on the Email or mobile number field.
    3. Click on your suggested login from 1Password that appears below the field.
    4. Click Log In.

On the next "Enter your code" page, 1Password automatically fills the one-time password. When you follow these specific steps are you seeing different behaviour? If you're using different steps then could you list them here so that I can reproduce the issue?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• Piwi
    Piwi
    Community Member
    edited April 17
    Options

@Dave_1P,

that's exactly the way I do it – and it does not autofill the 2FA. Interesting, because this works on one mac, but not on the other …

• Dave_1P
    edited April 18
    Options

@Piwi

The fact that 1Password is filling the one-time password in Safari on one of your Macs but not the other suggests that there's some difference between the two devices. Are you using any extensions in Safari on the Mac that isn't working that you aren't using on the Mac where TOTP filling is working?

If you create a new Safari profile on the Mac that isn't working, does 1Password fill the TOTP in that profile? You can find instructions of Safari profiles here: Use profiles in Safari on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• Piwi
    Piwi
    Community Member
    edited April 19
    Options

@Dave_1P,

For sure, but there are no differences in prefs – and there are no other extensions installed. Interesting, because the issue only happens with PayPal – in every other case TOTP works perfectly.

Maybe it has something to do with the strange Passkeys behavior of PayPal (please see my other discussion). I would suggest to look at this 1st, because I could imagine the TOTP issue disappears then, too. So let me simply summarize it here again: Why do I get the 1Pw Passkeys window shown when I log in to PayPal ("Login with Passkey"). Strange, because I don't use a passkey for PayPal (deleted in both PayPal and 1Pw). I already deleted browser cache and PayPal cookies.

In the meantime, I found out why the iPhone PayPal app doesn't fill out the TOTP (not even via the clipboard): I activated login via Face ID in PayPal. After the automatic login, the TOTP will be queried. However, 1Pw had NOT previously entered the username and password - and therefore apparently does not understand the TOTP query. If I switch off the login via Face ID in the PayPal app, then it works. In any case, it's not particularly practical.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Piwi

Thanks for the reply. I've merged your threads together so that we can keep the conversation in the same place. So that I can better understand the situation can you post the following:

1. A screenshot of the passkeys prompt that you see when signing into PayPal in Safari on your Mac.
    2. Confirmation whether you see the same behaviour in a new Safari profile.

These two pieces of information will help me to understand the situation and work on a solution.

In the meantime, I found out why the iPhone PayPal app doesn't fill out the TOTP (not even via the clipboard): I activated login via Face ID in PayPal. After the automatic login, the TOTP will be queried. However, 1Pw had NOT previously entered the username and password - and therefore apparently does not understand the TOTP query. If I switch off the login via Face ID in the PayPal app, then it works. In any case, it's not particularly practical.

Thanks for sharing your findings. You're correct that if you don't use iOS AutoFill to first fill your username/password then the one-time password won't be copied to your clipboard. iOS AutoFill isn't capable of filling your one-time passwords from 1Password automatically. See my previous post for more details on how one-time passwords are handled on iOS.

I'm not aware of another app out there that uses Face ID to open the app but also still requests a one-time password after that. I would recommend sending feedback to PayPal about this behaviour.

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

-Dave

• Piwi
    Piwi
    Community Member
    edited April 19
    Options

@Dave_1P

Thank you for your reply. Yes, i can see this behaviour on every Safari profile – and on all of my Macs and with every PayPal account.

1st I get asked by 2 windows: for a passkey that doesn't exist —>

2nd TOTP autofill does not work —>

And again: I deleted Passkeys from 1Pw and out of my PayPal account. I deleted the browser cache and the PayPal cookies.

Thank you a lot and best regards,
    Phil

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Piwi

Thank you for those screenshots. It looks like the PayPal website is sending a request for a Webauthn credential that both Safari and 1Password are detecting. So that I can look into this further, I'd like to ask you to send in a console log when reproducing the issue:

Attach the file to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• Piwi
    Piwi
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @Dave_1P,

thanks for your reply and your instructions.

—> All done.
    —> The support ticket ID is QWA-91927-636.

Best,
    Phil

• Dave_1P
    Options

@Piwi

Thank you for posting the Support ID. Your console log has made it to the right team and you'll receive a reply from one of my colleagues as soon as they've finished reviewing this thread and the log.

Since we now have a communications channel open via email, I'm closing this thread. 🙂

-Dave

ref: QWA-91927-636

This discussion has been closed.