1Password always running in the foreground after booting up

Options
IAmNotARobot
IAmNotARobot
Community Member
edited April 20 in Mac

Hello everyone,
Since I have been using my new iMac, every time I boot it, 1Password runs and switch to the foreground. In 1Password, under 'Preferences > General', the option to start at boot is checked and on MacOS under 'System Preferences > General > Login Elements > Allow in the Background', 1Password app is present and enabled. Now, what I would like to accomplish is to get 1Password run in the background so that it will only be visible on the MacOS status menu through its icon (In the past this was possible with 1password mini). Unchecking either or both the options didn't work as expected: after booting up the OS, the application didn't run at all, and so 1Password was not available in the MacOS status menu.
As far as I'm concerned, having to quit from 1Password after every bootup is rather annoying.

1Password Version: 8.10.30
Extension Version: 2.22.1
OS Version: MacOS 14.4.1
Browser: Chromium: 124.0.6367.60

Comments

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @IAmNotARobot! 👋

I'm sorry that 1Password isn't opening as you'd expect it to on your Mac. Just to clarify: when you restart your Mac, are you reporting that the 1Password icon appears in the Dock with a little dot underneath it? Or are you reporting the 1Password's main window opens automatically after a restart?

If it's the latter then make sure that the "Reopen windows when logging back in" checkbox is not checked when you restart or shut down your Mac.

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#29109

• IAmNotARobot
    IAmNotARobot
    Community Member
    edited April 22
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P

I will try to answer clearly and concisely to your questions:

are you reporting that the 1Password icon appears in the Dock with a little dot underneath it?

Yes, indeed. Is it intended to work this way?

Or are you reporting the 1Password's main window opens automatically after a restart?

Sometimes it happened too, but maybe I hadn't quit 1Password and, as you stated above, Reopen windows when logging back in checkbox was checked.

Thank you very much for your support!

• Dave_1P
    Options

@IAmNotARobot

Thanks for the reply. The behaviour where the 1Password icon appears in the Dock after a restart with a black dot underneath is a bug that appeared in a recent version of 1Password. Our developers have a work item open to investigate this and get it fixed. I've added your report there.

As a temporarily workaround, after you restart your Mac, you can open and then close the 1Password window in order to dismiss the icon. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#29109

• IAmNotARobot
    IAmNotARobot
    Community Member
    edited April 25
    Options

Hello @Dave_1P,

thank you so much for your reply! Looking forward to the next software release patch.

• Dave_1P
    Options

Thanks again for reporting the issue, hopefully it's fixed in a future update soon. 🙂

-Dave