[Feature Request] Make password entry easier with multiple accounts.

Options
mkaulfers
mkaulfers
Community Member

I have multiple 1Pwrd accounts, one personal, and one work. I'm very specific about separating my accounts according to relevance with either personal life or work life. However it's presented an interesting annoyance. I use different "Master Passwords" for both of these accounts and often I find that I need to enter a password for one or the other at any given time. If it's the first password of the day, it's fine, however if I ever need access to the other account I'm required to open up the app, change to that account, enter the password, before it will become available. Here is my suggestion.

User Story
As a user, I want to see all passwords locked or unlocked, on a given website, so that I can quickly enter in a password for a separate account, without needing to open the app directly.

Acceptance Criteria:

• In-browser, on password suggestion, function as normal for multiple accounts.
  • If a particular account is locked, but a known password exists for that website, show that there is a password available, and give the option to enter the password for the locked account.
  • When an account is locked, and a suggestion is provided, do not reveal any data, only give the option to unlock the associated account.
  • When there are multiple accounts, of which all are locked, show an aggregate suggestion and prompt the user for a master password, using the same functionality that already exists for unlocking and identifying an account.
  • At no point should anything ever be decrypted prior to a master password entry.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited April 24
    Options

Hello @mkaulfers! 👋

Thank you for the feedback! When 1Password is locked, all of your items are encrypted so 1Password won't be able to provide a login suggestion on a website (letting you know that you have a login item saved for that website in a locked 1Password account) until you unlock 1Password and decrypt your items.

If you're using multiple accounts then there's a couple of ways to make unlocking 1Password easier:

1. Use the same account password for both of your accounts: How to use multiple accounts
    • Your account password never leaves your device and your employer never has access to it.
    • Both accounts are protected using your account password and a Secret Key that is unique to each account.
    1. Enable biometric unlock so that you can unlock all of your accounts at once using a fingerprint or your face:

Have you tried one of these options to see if that would help your workflow? If these won't work for you then let me know. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#12642

• mkaulfers
    mkaulfers
    Community Member
    Options

So I have biometric enabled, however sometimes Apple Watch is VERY VERY SLOW, and on Windows it's okay with the pin, but this is more of feedback for that initial password, before biometrics are available. I don't use the same password, because I store my recovery kits on the cloud and if they're ever exposed, then that would instantly become a problem if the Master Passwords are the same. So with my current setup, even if my recovery kits are exposed, they'll have to get through 2 separate master passwords rather than just an individual. Overkill? Yeh, probably, but it's also why I'm a customer of yours haha.

I'm not suggesting a change to unencrypt, merely a "We know you have a password stored, that is for this website, click here to unlock that specific account."

• Dave_1P
    Options

@mkaulfers

Thank you for the feedback. You wrote:

I'm not suggesting a change to unencrypt, merely a "We know you have a password stored, that is for this website, click here to unlock that specific account."

Even metadata about your items is encrypted when your 1Password account is locked so that 1Password doesn't reveal what accounts you have to a potential attacker who gains access to your device. For the extension to let you know that you have a login item saved in 1Password when that account is locked, information about that login item would need to be saved in plain text somewhere on your device.

That being said, I agree that how multiple accounts are handled could be improved and I've filed a feature request on your behalf to have the team look into this further. For the time being, saving your Emergency Kits somewhere secure and using the same account password for both accounts will provide the best workflow. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-39476247