Passkeys stored in 1password on Android cannot be accessed on Google pixel

Options
sailingbikeruk
sailingbikeruk
Community Member
edited April 26 in Android

I have a new Google pixel 7a and use 1Password.

I have tried this in Chrome and Brave Browsers

1password is not offering to fill passwords in the browser, if I click the password icon it says I have no saved passwords and if I manually browse by clicking the url in 1Password it says there are no saved passkeys and I only get the option to choose another device.

If I choose another device i have those choices:

USB Security key
Use a different phone
This device

Nothing presents the passkey.

Please help as I am now Locked out of this account on my phone and am reluctant to use passkeys further.

This work on my iPad

1Password Version: 8.10.30
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 14
Browser: Brave

Comments

• sailingbikeruk
    sailingbikeruk
    Community Member
    Options

UPDATE: I am guessing this just doesn't work on phones because it doesn't work on my iPhone either. It doesn't offer 1Password to fill in the email field and I get a similar prompt if I complete that by copy paste.

Its a bit annoying given the nagging messages about using passkeys

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @sailingbikeruk! 👋

I'm sorry that you're running into trouble when signing in using a passkey on your Android device. As a start, please make sure that autofill is setup to work with 1Password:

Then try these steps to sign in with a saved passkey: Use 1Password to save logins and sign in to apps and websites on your Android device

If that still doesn't work then can you tell me the name of the app or website that you're trying to sign into on your Android device? And are you able to sign into that website using 1Password on a desktop?

-Dave

• sailingbikeruk
    sailingbikeruk
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I have autofill enabled and all options are switched on. Passwords, passkeys and data services only has 1Password selected.

I’d say this was the problem:

Only apps with built-in passkey support are compatible with 1Password at this time. Saving and signing in with passkeys in browsers like Chrome will be supported in the future.

I setup “My Sony”, but the app I was using opens a website in the browser. It’s a bit disappointing that this isn’t made more clear by 1Password during passkey creation.

Strangely, it works fine on my iPad, but it won’t offer the passkey on either phone. It’s a significant negative for me and if I was paying for 1Password rather than getting it free from my employer, I’d be looking at alternatives at this point.