Passkey

Options
ronen
ronen
Community Member
edited April 29 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi.
From day one I always use Username and Password to login a secure website.
Now a New option (for me) appears : "Passkey".
can someone please explain in a very simple words what is it and can I use it instead of Username and Password ?
Also is the Passkey saved in 1Password or where ?
Don't understand the basic of this "Passkey" option instead of what Iv'e use before.
THANK YOU .

see example :

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.30 (81030032)
Extension Version: 2.22.1
OS Version: Sonoma 14.4.1 (23E224)
Browser: safari

Comments

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    edited April 29
    Options

Thank you for that !
    need to convince myself to start using it as I am old fashion person.
    But I trust 1Password. If they approve using it INSTEAD of username and password then OK.

• Dave_1P
    Options

Hello @ronen! ๐Ÿ‘‹

Thanks for the question! A passkey allows you to login to an online account without having to enter a password. Passkeys are stored in 1Password and protected using the same encryption and security that protects your existing passwords. Most importantly, since a passkey's private key never leaves 1Password, passkeys are more secure than passwords and better able to protect you from phishing attacks.

XIII already linked to one of our blog articles (thank you!) but I'll also link to our support article on how to save and sign in with passkeys using 1Password in the browser: Save and sign in with passkeys in your browser

Let me know if you have any other questions. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Dave for your explanation.
    I will definitely learn and use.

• Dave_1P
    Options

Sounds good! We'll be here if you have any other questions. ๐Ÿ™‚

-Dave

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    Options

If I understand correctly, with existing username and password, in the event of hacking into the server of a certain website, the above details can be known. Using Passkey is safer. The question: If I use Passkey , should I cancel / Delete the existing username and password? Because if they exist, they are used as another door to enter the site and Passkey is useless.
    Thanks.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@ronen

If a website allows you to remove your old password as a login method from their end, then you can edit the item and remove the old password from 1Password as well.

Many services leave passwords as a fallback option is because passkeys are not yet supported across all devices yet. If you do leave a password an option for certain websites then continue to follow best practices and make sure that all of your passwords are strong and unique: Use the password generator to change and strengthen your passwords

Even if you leave your password as an option, you'll still enjoy the increase protection from phishing whenever you use your passkey to sign in.

-Dave

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your reply. very appreciated.

• ag_tommy
    Options

On behalf of Dave, you're welcome.