How do I use a master password with separate TOTP configurations across multiple logins

Options
mholthausen
mholthausen
Community Member

In my company, I have the same login and the same SSO password for different company services. For some applications, however, there is an additional TOTP and I have created a separate entry for each service and URL. Now, of course, I get the message in Watchtower that I have reused passwords for different logins. Is it possible to create something like a master password, which can then be used by different logins but with different configurations for the TOTP? This would also have the advantage that I would only have to change the master password in 1Password if I changed the SSO password and all logins that depend on it would be updated automatically.

1Password Version: 8.10.30
Extension Version: 2.22.1
OS Version: macOS 14.4.1
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited May 8
    Options

Hello @mholthausen! 👋

Thanks for reaching out! You can use the 1Password app to ignore the warning from the Watchtower banner so that you no longer see it:

Is it possible to create something like a master password, which can then be used by different logins but with different configurations for the TOTP? This would also have the advantage that I would only have to change the master password in 1Password if I changed the SSO password and all logins that depend on it would be updated automatically.

You can create one Login item that contains the username and password and then add all of the different website URLs for all the different services to that login item. Then, for services where an additional TOTP is required, you can create an additional login item for each service that only contains the TOTP (leaving the username and password fields blank) and the website address of that specific service.

You'll end up with a situation where you'll see two login items suggested on each page:

1. Your login item that contains the username and password for all of the linked services.
    2. A second login item that only contains the TOTP for that specific service.

You can link the items together in order to keep track of them: Link related items in 1Password

I hope that helps.

-Dave

• mholthausen
    mholthausen
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the detailed description. I will try it out like this. That sounds like a feasible solution

• Dave_1P
    Options

Sounds good! Let me know if you run into any issues. 🙂

-Dave