New Sign-In Experience (Beta)

New Sign-In Experience (Beta)

👋 Hey everyone, we're excited to announce that a new sign-in experience is now live in beta!

We've heard time and time again that signing into 1Password on a new device or browser is difficult, especially when having to type out your email or Secret Key manually. Now, simply choose “Scan QR Code” from the top left account menu in 1Password on your signed-in phone (Android or iOS) to quickly add your 1Password account to a new device or browser. To finish enrollment, confirm the new device or browser when prompted on your phone and voila! Your 1Password account is automatically added and ready to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obqEheFUyis

The new sign-in experience isn’t just convenient, it’s incredibly secure: when you scan the QR code, 1Password sets up an encrypted channel between your devices. It uses this channel to sign you in without asking for your credentials. The code itself is temporary and does not contain any secrets, so it’s resistant to screenshots and over-the-shoulder scans.

Note: If you don't have your phone handy, you can still sign in manually too. But when adding 1Password to a new device or browser, the new sign-in experience is a quick and easy option without having to manually enter your information.

And that's it! This feature is available on our beta and nightly release channels for the 1Password desktop app, TestFlight for iOS, and with the “Join the Beta” option (in the 1Password app management settings) on Android. Remember, you'll need to ensure you have the latest builds on all devices that are used to test this feature.

Use your mobile phone to sign into a new device or browser and let us know what you think about this new beta feature 🙌

Comments

• DeanYoung
    DeanYoung
    Community Member

In the new view, loss of pictographic icons for content type (e.g. a key for logins) and replacing with text is a counter intuitive idea. Your eyes no longer fall on the entries you are targeting.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited June 20

Just wanted to tell I just signed up successfully on a new Windows 11 laptop using this feature (Phone was an Android phone, app to sign in was the Windows desktop app). It's much more pleasant than any other sign in method. 👍👍

The only downside is that it's not yet available in the production version of 1Password. I had to switch and manually update to the nightly before the first sign.

• @DeanYoung

Thank you for the feedback. Could you post a screenshot of the specific portion of the app that you're referring to? Where would you find seeing an icon of a key more useful?

-Dave

• @Tertius3

I'm glad that you're enjoying the new sign in experience! 🙂

-Dave

• DannyG1P
    edited July 11

Update: With yesterday's beta release, this feature is now bi-directional! You can now use the New Sign-In Experience to sign-in to your Android or iOS mobile device by scanning a QR code from your desktop app.

From a signed-in 1Password desktop app, click “Set Up Another Device” and follow the instructions. Give it a try and let us know what you think 🙌

• Cheesehed
    Cheesehed
    Community Member

That's awesome @DannyG1P . Great great news.

I can't stand when I get a new phone and I'm no where near a computer and want to register or sign into something on my phone and the QR Code pops up on my phone screen.

This happens all the time with OTP QR Codes for authenticator apps.

I think 💬 How can scan the QR code on my phone display that I can't pull up on my computer because there is no email option or screenshots are blocked on the phone? Obviously I can't use my phones camera to scan the screen. For obvious reasons I don't want someone to photograph my screen, email it to themselves so I can scan the QR code.

I can't imagine people who only have their mobile phone as their Internet access. How do they scan QR codes that pop up onto their screens temporarily or are sent in email after registration. To make things worse if their email is protected by an authentication app on a new device but they have no way to add the account to the app to unlock their inbox to get to the QR code to use their phone to scan the code to get into their password manager. Boy they better hope they remember their password manager app or have their secret key saved somewhere and printed out. Hopefully not in their google drive that is locked with OTP/authenticator.

• fishnet37222
    fishnet37222
    Community Member
    edited August 22

I'm having trouble with this. I'm trying to sign into the Linux beta by scanning the QR code using the Android beta. Everything works as expected until I scan the QR code. I get a screen asking me which account I'm signing in to, but nothing happens when I tap the account.

Edit: I needed to update the Android app. After doing so, it worked as expected.

• DannyG1P
    edited October 21

Hey everyone, I'm excited to share that this feature is now generally available for all customers! Give it a try on 1Password for Mac, Windows, Linux, Android, and/or iOS 👍

Launch post: https://1password.community/discussion/148667/introducing-a-new-1password-sign-in-experience-now-live-for-everyone