Feature suggestion: offer phone numbers for receiving SMS codes

Options
dgmdan
dgmdan
Community Member
edited May 21 in Families

I'm a longtime 1password user and wanted to pass along a feature idea.

Recently I was trying to lock down the message settings on my iPhone to require a Face ID scan before an incoming SMS can be read. The motivation was that I want to protect these codes in the event that the iPhone were stolen while unlocked. I found that, while possible, it involves setting up shortcuts/automations that lock the phone when you open certain apps. It's an annoying experience and not a great solution.

It could be an opportunity for 1password though. A user could have their own phone number provisioned through 1password, just meant for receiving 2FA codes via SMS. That way the codes could be received + autofilled within 1password, only after doing a Face ID. It would be so convenient and more secure than relying on the messages app on the phone to secure things.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 17.5.1
Browser: Firefox

Comments

• ag_tommy
    Options

@dgmdan

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll pass it along to the products team for further review. I always recommend moving away from SMS if possible.

SMS phishing - a cautionary tale

• nukmicah
    nukmicah
    Community Member
    Options

Would love love love SMS 2FA to go away. But I have a half-dozen financial institutions which all require 2FA, and only support SMS for it, and require entering an SMS code every single time we log in. Real fix is for all the banks and other institutions to modernize, but we users are at their mercy.

This issue is especially annoying for my wife and I, which have joint financial accounts but cannot easily share the logins due to the non-shared SMS.

I discovered https://2fasms.org/en, but am really not interested in yet another subscription. Sharing a Twilio or Google Voice number is also suggested among the interwebs, but with the caveat that many institutions reject VoIP numbers for enrollment into SMS 2FA.

This request for a solution to SMS 2FA has been noted at least three times in the 1Password forums (including this post), see:

• ag_tommy
    Options

@nukmicah

That is a very true and thought out post. I can say you did you did some homework. Correct, the feature may have been requested previously. We (forum team) collect and submit that to the products team. We're not involved in the decision making process. We're the advocates for you.