“Add your first items” has shown up and won’t go away

Options
raster
raster
Community Member

I’ve been using 1P for years and have lots of things in the vault. Today, on Windows, I’ve got a message above my items saying “Add your first items” and there doesn’t appear to be a way to get rid of it. How do I fix this?

I tried adding a new item, but it still persists.

1Password Version: 8.10.33
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11 23H2
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited May 31
    Options

Hello @raster! 👋

I'm sorry that you're seeing a confusing message when using 1Password. To help me better understand the situation I'd like to ask you to take a screenshot of what you're seeing and attach it to your reply:

Make sure that nothing sensitive is included in the screenshot.

-Dave

• raster
    raster
    Community Member
    Options

Here's the top of the 1P window (with some details blacked out). As you can see, I now have this permanent "Add your first items" at the top of the items list and can't get it to go away. Again, I've been using this for years. This is not a new install, new vault, or anything. Just using things as usual.

Thanks for your help.

• Dave_1P
    edited June 5
    Options

@raster

Thank you for the screenshot. That behaviour doesn't look right if you've been using 1Password for some time and have a significant number of items in your 1Password account. Our developers are testing a fix in the latest beta:

The banner encouraging you to import items now only displays if you have fewer than 7 items across all of your unlocked accounts.

If you're willing to help us test the fix then you can switch to the beta using this guide: Use 1Password beta releases

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#27858
    ref: dev/core/core#29547

edit: Updated information about the beta.

• raster
    raster
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the info about the upcoming beta. What needs to happen is letting the user control the software they bought. I’ve been using 1P for a decade. I never need this hint. Ever.

I have a small number of items shared to a gaming PC (less than 7). It sounds like this “hint” will just be there forever unless I clutter things up with dummy entries. No. Just let me turn them off.

I’m real over the trend of being at the mercy of “helpful” software. Just let me get rid of hints I don’t need or want. Bury it deep in an advanced setting, I don’t care, but please don’t make me have to add dummy entries. That will probably be the final straw. 1P v8 has been a rough ride.

Thanks for reading.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @raster, thanks for your feedback here! I can definitely understand how being able to dismiss or disable these types of hints is important for situations where a user may intentionally have only made a small number of items accessible on a particular device.

I've passed your feedback along to our product team in the form of a feature request to see if this is something that can be changed in future. If you have any further suggestions or questions, let us know 😄

ref: PB-40497429

• raster
    raster
    Community Member
    Options

Please just let the user dismiss the tips they don't want. Let us decide what's helpful or not. It's fine if you want to have heuristics about when to show them, but I should not be at the mercy of the heuristics. It's not possible to ever get it right for everyone, so there needs to be a way to let folks turn them off when the heuristic doesn't match their use case. This is okay! For most people things will work as you intended and for the small percent of us where it doesn't, we can manually make it right.

There should never be "tips" I can't dismiss. It just tells me you think you know my use case better than me.

Thanks.

• Dave_1P
    edited June 19
    Options

@raster

I've voiced your comments to the team in our internal chat as I think that your feedback is valuable and provides a good perspective. I'll update this thread if I receive any other information that I can share.

-Dave

• raster
    raster
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I appreciate it.

• Dave_1P
    Options

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

-Dave

• hegguardo
    hegguardo
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P was the fix you mentioned on 5th June ever released to production?

I have 38 items in my vault and still have this annoying ‘Add your first items’ message, persistent at the top of my ‘All Items’ view:

I have reinstalled the app which made no difference.

1Password 8.10.36
    OS Windows 10 Enterprise 22H2

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @hegguardo! It's definitely odd that you have 38 items but you're still seeing the Add your first items banner when viewing All Items. I'm not sure why this might be, as the fix my colleague Dave mentioned was added to the Production release from version 8.10.34 onwards.

Out of curiosity, does this account have 7 or more items of its own, or are the majority of its items from shared vaults?

• hegguardo
    hegguardo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @1P_Gem, thank you for your quick response!

All 38 items are in a shared vault.

• raster
    raster
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. I have to point out this is another great example of why just letting us dismiss the tips is the right move. Please let us control the experience instead of being at the mercy of the heuristics, which will never always be right. Thank you.

• david.m_1P
    edited July 11
    Options

@hegguardo

Thanks for confirming! If you create or add 7 items to your non-shared vault, does the banner still appear?

@raster

Thanks again for all the feedback you've shared regarding this! It's been shared with our Product team so that they can take it into consideration. I apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime.

-David

• trkylla
    trkylla
    Community Member
    edited July 13
    Options

My immediate thought when encountering this was, "why isn't there an 'x' in the upper right corner that I can click on to dismiss this?"

As with others on this thread, I'm not interested in this "help" as I've used 1Password on the Mac for many, many years. Similarly to @raster, I have my PC set up as a separate family member account with access only to a smaller vault. And by smaller I mean that it has 120 items in it. It is a shared vault because I manage all family vaults centrally from my master account on the Mac. So, personally, I'm not particularly interested in having a private vault for this account as it then becomes invisible and unmanageable from the master account.

I'm on the latest beta ('check for updates' states I'm up to date), 8.10.38 and I still get the prompt to import items.

To me, showing this when we already have so many items could be considered a bug, maybe you didn't consider the use-case of having everything in a shared vault - to me, my use-case makes sense to me. However, not having an 'x' to immediately and permanently dismiss it is just poor UI design, IMNSHO. I shouldn't have to search through the settings to see if there's an option to dismiss this. I shouldn't have to google for a solution (and stumble) on this thread.

I'm a long-time user of 1Password and I like both the product and what's visible externally as a company. This is only the second time that I recall being disappointed - the first time, you can likely guess, has to do with centralized, cloud-based Vault storage, but let's not go down that particular rabbit hole here.

• hegguardo
    hegguardo
    Community Member
    Options

@david.m_1P this user has a guest account therefore no access to non-shared vaults.

My use case is very similar to @trkylla (above), that being a PC set up as a separate family/guest account which requires access to only one (shared) vault.

I will echo @trkylla and @raster sentiments, this is clearly over-engineered UI design. Onboarding messages such as this should be easily dismissed.

• 1P_Gem
    Options

Hi @trkylla and @hegguardo, thanks so much for the suggestions and details you've both provided about your use cases here!

Use cases like these definitely need to be taken into account, as well as making these types of hints dismissible in future. I've filed your feedback with our Product team in the form of a feature request, to see if this is something we can improve on moving forward.

If you have any further feedback or questions, let us know 😄

ref: PB-40923935
    ref: PB-40924045