Workflow inefficiency adding Logins with Fastmail integration

Options
desertlizard17
desertlizard17
Community Member
edited June 3 in 1Password in the Browser

Adding a login including a masked email from the Fastmail integration work well overall, but there are a couple of things that make it more difficult than it should be.

When creating a login on a website generating a masked email for the email field and generating a password for the password field saves the email as an "email" for the login, and the password gets saved as a "password" for the login.

Many times, logging back in to the website requires entering a "username" as opposed to an email. The 1Password plugin does not fill in this field because the Login was saved without a username.

So now what is required is to edit the Login and just copy the email field to the username field, right? Clicking Edit from the browser plugin opens the desktop application in edit mode for the Login. The email string appears at the top, but there is no way to copy the email address that appears in the application. There is no way to even select the text with the mouse or anything. I could type the entire email manually into the username field here, but no one really wants to do that, and it's mistake prone.

The only way to get to the email field so that it is able to be copied is to click Cancel on the edit form to just view the Login entry. From there hovering over the email field allows it to be copied. Then I can click the Edit button to go back to the form that I originally opened, and paste into the username field, and click Save.

There are two things that could alleviate this
1) The possibility of saving the email into the username field when first saving the Login. The Save Item form from the browser plugin has the same issue that the email field cannot be selected or copied at all
2) The ability to copy the email field value when editing a Login in the desktop application

1Password Version: 8.10.28
Extension Version: 2.24.2
OS Version: Linux
Browser: Firefox

Comments

• david.m_1P
    Options

Hi @desertlizard17, thank you for sharing this feedback!

I can see how the current behaviour can lead to some inefficiencies. This issue has been reported to our development team so that they can look into any improvements that can be made. I've also shared your experience with them, and I apologize for any inconvenience.

In the meantime, as a workaround, when you have a Fastmail email saved which you'd like to convert to a username, you can click in the username field within the item while in Edit mode, then begin to type the Fastmail email that was saved for that item. You should then see it in the suggested emails that appear in a dropdown menu, and can select it to enter it into the username field.

Let me know if that works for you and if there's anything else I can help you with!

-David

ref: dev/core/core#29012