SSH Agent : Connection refused

arnaudb
arnaudb
Community Member

Not sure if it's related to an update, everything was working fine so far.
I can't get the agent to load the keys on git requests anymore.

The problem :
git fetch git@github.com: Permission denied (publickey).

The ssh setup :

cat ~/.ssh/config

Host github.com-arnaudb
  Hostname github.com
  IdentityAgent "~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/t/agent.sock"
  ForwardAgent yes`

The agent setup :

cat ~/.config/1Password/ssh/agent.toml

[[ssh-keys]]
item = "Git Arnaudb"
vault = "Private"

I have a key in my Private vault named Git Arnaudb

The git repo was cloned with SSH :

git remote -v
origin  git@github.com-arnaudb:MyRepo/Sandbox.git (fetch)
origin  git@github.com-arnaudb:MyRepo/Sandbox.git (push)

Also i have SSH_AUTH_SOCK in my .zshrc

export SSH_AUTH_SOCK=~/Library/Group\ Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/t/agent.sock

I can't connect to the agent it seems :

SSH_AUTH_SOCK=~/Library/Group\ Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/t/agent.sock ssh-add -l
Error connecting to agent: Connection refused 

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you !

1Password Version: 8.10.34
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOs 13.3.1
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• arnaudb
    arnaudb
    Community Member

bumping this in case anyone has a solution :)

• Michael Mercurio
    Michael Mercurio
    Community Member

Probably a silly question but still worth asking: you're sure 1Password app is running? I occasionally see this "Connection refused" when 1Password is not running (e.g., because I intentionally killed it) or it didn't restart properly after an update.

It might be worth checking that the agent socket file exists by running ls -l ~/Library/Group\ Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/t/agent.sock from the Terminal.

• JonasKrausch
    JonasKrausch
    Community Member

Try changing the Release Channel in Advanced settings and check for Updates. After I install a different version, this error mostly disappears. I switch between Beta and Nightly when it happens.

If you don't want to change the release channel, maybe updating (if a new version is available) or reinstalling could resolve this, too.

• arnaudb
    arnaudb
    Community Member

Thanks Michael and Jonas

Yes, app is running, command returns :
    srw------- 1 arnaudb staff 0 May 7 18:43 /Users/arnaudb/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/t/agent.sock

I was actually running the production versio. Swithing to Beta and updating the app fixed the issue ! Thanks for help

• Michael Mercurio
    Michael Mercurio
    Community Member

One observation that strikes me as unusual in your original post:

git fetch git@github.com: Permission denied (publickey).

This would imply your public key was obtained and tried, which failed. However, ssh-add -l is showing the connection refused error. I don't understand how this could be.

I think this is related to @github.com-arnaudb vs @github.com. See my comment below regarding this.

One thing which may make troubleshooting easier with GitHub (I realize this is unrelated to the SSH agent socket issue):

• add User git in for the github.com section in your ~/.ssh/config.

The git fetch command you included in the original post is using @github.com and not @github.com-arnaudb in your ~/.ssh/config file. If you want both to work, you can update the host setting to include both like this:

Host github.com-arnaudb github.com
      Hostname github.com
      IdentityAgent "~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/t/agent.sock"
      ForwardAgent yes
      User git

Curious what happens when you try ssh -v -T git@github.com. If it's working you should see:

Hi <your GitHub username>! You've successfully authenticated, but GitHub does not provide shell access.

The -v option should help troubleshoot which keys are being attempted.

I'm not sure what else is in your ~/.ssh/config file or what your intention is regarding the github.com-arnaudb host setting, but depending on what you're trying to do, there may be better ways to setup your ssh config.

• Michael Mercurio
    Michael Mercurio
    Community Member

I replied earlier, but not sure what happened to it.

One issue with GitHub is your config is specifying github.com-arnaudb as the host, but the git fetch command in your original post is using github.com:

git fetch git@github.com: Permission denied (publickey)

It's also notable that based on the error, Permission denied (publickey), your public key was obtained and tried.

For troubleshooting, try making the following updates to your ~/.ssh/config:

Host github.com-arnaudb github.com
      User git
      Hostname github.com
      ForwardAgent yes`

(note User git added and Host updated to include github.com.)

Then try issuing ssh -v -T git@github.com.

If it works you should see:

Hi <your GitHub username>! You've successfully authenticated, but GitHub does not provide shell access.

The -v option will help determine which keys (if any) were tried.

But none of this explains why the ssh-add -l command you posted with SSH_AUTH_SOCK set is receiving a connection refused error.

• Michael Mercurio
    Michael Mercurio
    Community Member

Hi @arnaudb, one other thing I just noticed from your last message:

srw------- 1 arnaudb staff 0 May 7 18:43 /Users/arnaudb/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/t/agent.sock

This would imply that you have not restarted the 1Password app SSH Agent since May 7. Does that sound right?

For the sake of troubleshooting, you may want to restart your Mac. Or at the very least try completely restarting 1Password (choose Quit from the icon in the menu bar). Another option would be to toggle the "use the SSH agent" option under Developer settings in the app off (restart the app) then toggle it back on again.

As last resort perhaps try reinstalling 1Password as suggested by @JonasKrausch.

• arnaudb
    arnaudb
    Community Member

Hey @Michael Mercurio
    No that's not correct, Mac was restarted just before posting the main message here. Not sure what's that date about
    I have also restarted the agent in 1p directly

• Michael Mercurio
    Michael Mercurio
    Community Member
    edited June 23

Weird. On my MacBook the timestamp of the socket is reset each time the 1Password SSH Agent restarts. But it sounds like it's working now, so 🤷