What happened to the "master password" feature to login, as was on the 1Password 7 app?

ChunkTuna
ChunkTuna
Community Member
edited June 19 in Windows

I just upgraded on Windows 10 from 1Password 7 to 8. This was not a smooth upgrade, I expect better from 1P, but finally got v8 running. I discovered what was considered the "master password" on 7 to get into the app no longer works, and now I must use my account password to gain access. Of course that password was within my app, which I could not get to. Could not login on my phone, which is set for biometrics, but today instead asked for the acct password, even though set to never ask, only use biometrics. This was a cluster until I got it resolved. So my question is what happened to the "master password" feature? I want my acct password to be extremely difficult, but not the pwd into the app. Thanks

1Password Version: 8.10.35
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited June 20

@ChunkTuna "Master Password" and "account password" are synonym in the membership/cloud-stored model of 1Password 8. The term "master password" was renamed to "account password" with v8, and they are the same thing. If you used two different passwords with v7, it might be you just accessed some local vault with what you call master password and never actually unlocked access to the cloud-stored membership vaults. This could explain the issues with migrating you mentioned.

In v8, there are just cloud-stored vaults, no local vault any more. If your account password is too difficult to type, change it to something more easy. It's not productive to choose a too difficult password you're not able to type in just for the sake of security. That's actually lowering security (why: you will start avoid using the app)

Signing in on new devices still need the secret key, so a more simple account password doesn't lower account security. See https://support.1password.com/strong-account-password/ how to choose a good account password and notice the "your account password should be memorable" paragraph.

The expected workflow for daily usage is to use the biometric unlock for your devices instead of the account password. For Windows, it's Windows Hello and the Windows Hello PIN. Activate Windows Hello and TPM usage in 1Password and make sure you properly initialized your Windows Hello Pin within Windows. If activated and it's working properly and using the TPM, you have to enter you account password just every 2 weeks to make you not forget that password, otherwise you're able to unlock just with the pin. That pin is secure, because it's just stored locally, can just be used locally, and never shared across any network.

• Hello @ChunkTuna! 👋

What @Tertius3 wrote is correct (thank you for jumping in!), your account password is your "master password". It's the password that you use to unlock 1Password and access your items.

1Password 7 would unlock using the password of the first standalone vault or account added to the app. It sounds like you had an old standalone vault in 1Password 7 and were using that vault's password to unlock the entire app. If you didn't have that old standalone vault and only used your 1Password account, then you would have used your account password to unlock 1Password 7 too. 1Password 8 does not support standalone vaults.

I recommend that you create an account password that you'll be able to memorize and type in when needed. We have a guide here: How to choose a good 1Password account password

Let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

-Dave

• ChunkTuna
    ChunkTuna
    Community Member

Thank you Dave, you are indeed correct.....I was using an old standalone vault in 1Password 7 early on, but later changed to only using the 1Password account. All good now that I understand. Much appreciated.

• I'm happy to help! 🙂

-Dave