🔓 Introducing Recovery Codes - Now Available!

2»

Comments

• dbalpert
    dbalpert
    Community Member

I keep my Emergency Kit (which was generated when I signed up for 1Password) in a safe place now. Would you recommend having the Recovery Code in the same place, or is that redundant? Is the idea that this goes in a different safe place, or is it useful together?

• @dbalpert

That would be a highly personal decision. As for me, I keep the Emergency Kit and the Recovery Code with other important papers. A casual observer of my papers would not easily associate the two with one another.

There could be a reason where I need the Secret Key, and the Emergency Kit will give me that. If you've stored your password on the Emergency Kit, you can retrieve it from there if necessary. I think there is value in having ready access to both. My personal needs may not be the same as yours.

I typically think of my Emergency Kit as my first line of defense and the Recovery Code as my last (fail-safe) resort. I also have an additional family member who could assist me with account recovery if needed. For me, my levels of use are as follows:

• The steps below could be highly fluid, depending on the situations encountered.
    1. Emergency Kit.
    2. Account recovery from a family member.
    3. Recovery code.

The most important thing is to ensure they are stored safely and securely, allowing you access when needed.