What happened to Categories

lcool1020
lcool1020
Community Member
edited July 23 in Mac

I want to create another category but no longer can find how to do this. I'm on my iMac M1, if this makes a difference... TIA.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 689000
OS Version: macOS 14.5
Browser: Firefox

Comments

• Hello @lcool1020! 👋

Thanks for reaching out! 1Password includes a set of default categories and it's not possible to create a new category yourself.

I use Secure Notes to keep track of things that don't neatly fit into one of the categories available in 1Password. Secure Notes are very flexible and you can add custom fields to organize the information that you add. Here's a blog post that explains some of the possibilities:

I'd be happy to file a feature request to have the team look into adding other categories (or custom categories) to 1Password in the future. Can you tell me a little more about what kind of categories you'd like to see?

A quick note: 1Password 6 for Mac hasn't been supported (or updated) for years. I strongly encourage you to update to the latest and greatest version as soon as you have the chance: Upgrade to 1Password 8

-Dave

• lcool1020
    lcool1020
    Community Member

Thanks, Dave. I've started creating vaults for items that I can no longer make a category for. In the Personal vault (can't remember now if I created it or 1Password did), I want 'logins' as the default, right now it is favorites.... How do I do this? TIA. Also, sometimes when I open a web page through 1Password, it doesn't always fill in the info. When I go back to get the info from the web site I have to scroll through all my logins to find the page to get the info. Very cumbersome.

• @lcool1020

Thanks for the reply. I'll reply below:

In the Personal vault (can't remember now if I created it or 1Password did), I want 'logins' as the default, right now it is favorites....

Just to clarify, have you already upgraded to 1Password 8? Can you post a screenshot of where you're seeing favourites as the default? Is it when you save a new item? Or when you open the app?

Also, sometimes when I open a web page through 1Password, it doesn't always fill in the info. When I go back to get the info from the web site I have to scroll through all my logins to find the page to get the info.

If 1Password in the browser is installed you should see the following when you click on the username or password field on a page:

Clicking on the suggestion in the menu will allow 1Password to fill your login credentials into the page. If you don't see this on a certain page then can you post the website address of the page so that I can take a look? Don't post your username or password, just the website address.

-Dave

• lcool1020
    lcool1020
    Community Member

Hi Dave, yes, I have upgraded to version 8. And, I found the icon when iPassword doesn't fill in the info. Most of the time it works. As for Favorites being the default, it is the default in Personal and all the vaults I set up. It even happens if I click on my name. Is there a setting somewhere where I can change this? Thanks,

• @lcool1020

Thanks for the reply. You wrote:

As for Favorites being the default, it is the default in Personal and all the vaults I set up. It even happens if I click on my name.

To help me better understand the situation I'd like to ask you to take a screenshot of what you're seeing and attach it to your reply:

Make sure that nothing sensitive is visible in the screenshot.

-Dave

• lcool1020
    lcool1020
    Community Member

Well, now. Just tried to do a screen shot but 1Password opened in the beta version and I could not replicate. At first glance I like the beta version...

• @lcool1020

If you do run into the issue again then post a screenshot and my colleagues and I will be here to help. 🙂

-Dave