1Password for Android (8.10.38-13.BETA) started to crash

This discussion was created from comments split from: 1Password BETA Constant Crash on Android.

Comments

• Nazul
    Nazul
    Community Member

The original report is already old, but today 1Password for Android (8.10.38-13.BETA) started to crash. I open the app and the splash screen is displayed, then I'm able to use biometric logon (fingerprint) and the screen gets blank (black). After a brief moment, the app crashes.

Device is also a Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra with all updates installed (One UI 6.1).

• Hello @Nazul! 👋

I'm sorry that 1Password is crashing on your Android device. Can you update to 1Password for Android 8.10.38-29 and let me know if you still see the crash with that version?

If you do see the crash then can you try unlocking 1Password using your account password (not biometrics) and let me know if the same issue occurs?

-Dave

• Nazul
    Nazul
    Community Member

1Password got updated to 8.10.38-29 yesterday, and the issue persists. Exactly same behavior.

I thought that I mentioned before, but I tried to unlock both, using biometrics (fingerprint) as well as typing my password. Same results. It happened with the previous version (8.10.38-13.BETA) and the new one (8.10.38-29).

One additional comment is that it doesn't always crash. Sometimes the black screen is there for a long time and then the OS notifies me that the application isn't responding, giving me two options: wait or close it.

Oh... another one. I did try cleaning up the app cache. Same results.

• @Nazul

Could you also try clearing 1Password's storage to reset it? That's on the same screen as clearing cache.

ℹ️ You'll need a copy of your Emergency Kit or another device still signed in to 1Password nearby, and you'll need to know your account password before you start. This applies to ALL your 1Password accounts, if you have multiple.

Failing that, try removing it and reinstalling it through the Play Store. The same warning above applies.

Let us know how that goes.

• Nazul
    Nazul
    Community Member

I was trying to avoid deleting the app data. Anyway, I did that, and it partially worked.

By partially work I mean that the originally reported issue looks like it's gone. So far, the app opens without issue. However, when I opened after the app was reset, I selected to set it up using a QR code from a 1Password installed in my Windows laptop. Although the camera was abe to focus the QR code, it never continues the setup. I scanned the QR code using the Samsung camera app and instead of redirecting me to the 1Password app, it just shown a set of characters. I copied them but I cannot use them in the app.

Anyway... so far, problem solved.

Thank you.

• Goldfinger
    Goldfinger
    Community Member

Same issue. Clearing cache doesn't help.

Ah, wait. Suddenly it is open.

What was perhaps relevant is that while coming to this website, I had to login, (which correctly displayed my credentials), and maybe then the 1P app screen was working, or was it the 4 minutes it took to find this bug report?

Not sure.
    Marc.

• @Nazul

I'm happy that the reset resolved the initial issue. Regarding the QR code issue: are you able to scan and open other QR codes? For example, a QR code that contains a browser URL that should open your browser?

Have you been able to manually add your account to the app using the information in your Emergency Kit?

@Goldfinger

Let me know if you run into any other issues and I can investigate further. 🙂

-Dave

• Nazul
    Nazul
    Community Member

So sorry for the so late response.

Yes, the camera was, and it is still able to, read QR codes. It was just that time that I had that issue with 1Password.

I logged in entering my data manually. I didn't need to use the recovery kit.

• @Nazul

I'm glad that you were able to sign in manually. The team will keep investigating the issue, let me know if you see it again in the future.

-Dave