1Password "stealing" focused Window in macOS?

rmschne
rmschne
Community Member
edited July 29 in 1Password in the Browser

Using macOS 13.6.7 with 1Password 8.10.36 with the browser extension 2.6.21 installed and active in Safari ... In recent couple of weeks I'm noticing that the focus window of the Safari browser is getting turned "off" (best way I can describe it). I have to re-click into the window to make it active to allow me to press buttons, print -- basically do anything with the web site. In fact, this loss of focus interfered with my writing this. I've not nailed it down completely, but it seems like it might be 1Password doing this as sometimes without me doing this, 1Password becomes the active window and sometimes it brings itself to the "top" of the "stack" of macOS windows I can see. 1Password the only other browser extention that has been updated (a number of times) in recent years so I don't suspect the other two extensions (DEVONthink and Reeder). Mystery and a bit of a bother, frankly.

1Password Version: 8.10.36
Extension Version: 2.6.21
OS Version: 13.6.7
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hello @rmschne! 👋

I'm sorry that 1Password appears to be taking focus on your Mac. So that I can better understand the situation can you tell me the following:

1. Are you able to reproduce the issue on demand? Or is it completely random? If you can reproduce the issue on demand then can you post steps that I can follow to try to reproduce it on my end?
    2. Are you using Safari or any other apps in fullscreen mode?
    3. Are you using macOS Spaces?
    4. Is it the 1Password desktop app that is focused when this issue occurs and do you see "1Password" next to the  in the menu bar?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#23465
    ref: dev/core/core#21183
    ref: dev/core/core#13796
    ref: dev/core/core#12555

• rmschne
    rmschne
    Community Member

Today I closed down Safari 1Password Extension and 1Password Desktop and read my normal list of morning-read bookmarks. Worked fine far as I can tell. Turned on 1Password Extension and continued to work fine. Keeping Extension on and turning on and logging in to 1Password ... trouble.

Your questions:

1. reproducible by going to https://nypost.com/2024/07/27/lifestyle/women-on-tiktok-are-proudly-flaunting-their-ugly-privilege/, reading mode, and 1Password pops up. (Not a great article or topic, but what can you say?). I don't know if coincidental. I have no way to see what is telling macOS to bring a window up.
    2. No. Not never, but 99.99% of time not needed on my 27" iMac
    3. Running and available but rarely used. Not routine, but Not Never.
    4. Yes, noticed that in the past. Can't reproduce.
  • rmschne
    rmschne
    Community Member
    edited July 30

Added observation.

Safari running as is both 1Passwords (extension and desktop). Go to another app, any app. work in that window. Alt-tab to Safari or click on the partially hidden Safari Window, 1password desktop goes to top and active window with Safari just behind it. I don't think this URL-specific, so linking to that NYPost article is probably a red-herring.

• Dave_1P
    edited July 31

@rmschne

Thank you for those details. I haven't been able to reproduce the issue and I'd like to ask for a screen recording of you reproducing the issue so that I can investigate this further, you can find instructions on how to create a screen recording here:

Make sure that nothing sensitive is visible in the recording. Once complete, send an email to support+forum@1Password.com and include a link to this thread. After emailing in, you'll receive a reply from BitBot, our friendly robot assistant with a Support ID that looks something like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and I'll be able to locate your message and send you a secure upload link for your screen recording.

-Dave

• rmschne
    rmschne
    Community Member

For whatever reason (no change on my machine), the issue I reported seems not to be happening. It might return. I'm doing some travelling for a while, and if/when I see it again, I'll do the screen recording as described above.

• Sounds good. The team and I will keep an eye out for your email. 🙂

-Dave

• brucebc
    brucebc
    Community Member

This is a bad bug. I lose focus all the time while typing, working in applications, etc. I thought it was a bug in the new mac OS release (and may be) but now I wonder if it is a 1PW bug only?

Just now when I lost focus in Chrome while typing, this time I noticed that instead of Chrome, in the upper left corner it said 1password.

I read a few related forum posts about this, one which said try to enable background in 1pw settings, but this was already enabled. Then I made a screen recording of the issue happening per this forum discussion. I'll send it in.

But, I may have observed the issue: one of the many times the 1PW app popped in front of my work, I noticed it had a little red cloud with a slash through it, on the top toolbar. Hover says something like "click to reconnect". I did, and 1PW stopped stealing focus.

But the reason I think this is a bug is: a) Why should 1PW become unstable when network connections are spotty? b) Why should I have to manually click a button to reconnect? Why would it not do that on its own? c) Why does the application keep stealing focus? If it is popping to the front to alert us of something that needs our attention, why is there no message or action request?

• @chthonictribulation and @brucebc

I'm sorry that 1Password is stealing focus on your Macs. The next time that the issue occurs, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/147357/1password-stealing-focused-window-in-macos#latest
    • Your forum username: username

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here.  Thanks very much!

-Dave

• brucebc
    brucebc
    Community Member

I tried to email diagnostics but your mail servers rejected the message as too large. Someone then sent me a link for uploading files but it expired before i could get to it. Twice. I gave up. You’ll have to make do with other people’s.

• @brucebc

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I've just sent you a new secure upload link if you're willing to try again.

-Dave

ref: KLK-13398-885

• bradchoate
    bradchoate
    Community Member

I am experiencing the same issue and using the latest Chrome version (Version 130.0.6723.59 (Official Build) (arm64)). Running macOS Sonoma 14.7. The problem started happening right after updating Chrome to this version.

• bradchoate
    bradchoate
    Community Member

I emailed some diagnostic files and noticed I was on the Beta channel for the 1Password app. I switched to the Production channel, relaunched the application, confirmed the channel change in the About box. That seems to alleviate the problem for me. At least it hasn't reproduced so far since then. Still using the beta Chrome extension, though.

• Dave_1P
    edited October 17

@bradchoate

I'm sorry that you're running into the same issue, thank you for sharing your findings. I see that my colleague sent you a reply to your email a few hours ago. Please continue the conversation there. 🙂

-Dave

ref: ADB-64561-236